Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your FSD Beta experience improved with new updated maps 2021.44

Poll: Has the new maps update 2021.44 improved your FSD BETA experience?

• Yes, number of disengagements has decreased

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No, there are even more problems and disengagements

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No, new maps has not made any noticeable difference

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen a majority of posts where the new maps have negatively impacted FSD Beta behavior and want to see if the new maps are at least moving FSD in the right direction.

Also, since we haven’t gotten a wide rollout of any FSD version in a while, I think it’d be interesting to see since the new maps have been rolling out widely in the meantime.

the poll question is a bit broad. I don't think the new maps has any effect on general FSD driving issues, like slowing too early for stop signs, crazy jitter during turns, etc. We should probably be focusing on issues that we suspect are mapping issues and see if those have improved or not.

My impression from watching videos is that it has been mostly negative but that's just a rough gauge and could be subject to selection bias

Seen a lot of messed up speed limits that were fine before and new issues with routing that were not perfect before but were workable and have degraded

Reactions: momo3605
The only reason I am seeing fewer disengagements with the new maps is that, in general, routing seems more intelligent and straight forward. The old maps frequently took me on a circuitous route and I had to disengage in order to avoid following a route that frequently made no sense to me.

Reactions: EVNow
The obvious flaws that I have even reported are still there, no difference. Speed limit errors are also still there. Construction areas were updated so my run down 66 is not as bad. That is the only reason I said things were better. There is an exit in Fredrick MD, that AP and FSD missed all the time it makes it now. There is a lot left to clean up.

Makes me wonder where my bug reports go.

As far as the most efficient way to go some where, that has not changed. I am dumb founded that the car wants to go the wrong way to work cutting through neighborhoods, taking the long way. On the way home it goes the proper way home. EVER TIME. I would like to drop a pin so I can force it to go the right way. Can we drop pins in waypoints, not a place?

Can we drop pins in waypoints, not a place?
You can long press any place on the map and use that in waypoints. The problem is, it frequently uses nearby addresses / places instead of a road or intersection.

I want a feature where I can move the navigation path the way I want it, like I can do in the PC (Google map). Currently I just select some in between points as the target and when I get close cancel and switch to the next target. Basically a cumbersome way to make the car follow the route I want.

Reactions: edseloh and Dewg
I want a feature where I can move the navigation path the way I want it.
I've often thought this would be outstanding. Like in Google Maps, when you get directions, you can drag points around and change the route. My nearby streets are in heavy construction for the next year or two, so I always take different exits from the freeway to avoid the nightmare construction. However, when I'm in FSD Beta going home, it always wants to use the construction exits. Would be awesome to be able to drag the exit point so the car takes a different exit. Instead I have to disable FSD Beta, take the exit I want and then re-enable it. Totally a "1st-World Problem", so I'm not too annoyed. :)

You can long press any place on the map and use that in waypoints. The problem is, it frequently uses nearby addresses / places instead of a road or intersection.

I want a feature where I can move the navigation path the way I want it, like I can do in the PC (Google map). Currently I just select some in between points as the target and when I get close cancel and switch to the next target. Basically a cumbersome way to make the car follow the route I want.

Unrelated @EVNow but have you been able to confirm if TomTom is actually being used on the Teslas since the 2021.44 update came out? I.e. have the changes that you and everyone made it into the on-board navigation? I tried setting my neighborhood speed limit to 15mph instead of 25, which was approved, but it did not make it down to my car :(

Unrelated @EVNow but have you been able to confirm if TomTom is actually being used on the Teslas since the 2021.44 update came out? I.e. have the changes that you and everyone made it into the on-board navigation? I tried setting my neighborhood speed limit to 15mph instead of 25, which was approved, but it did not make it down to my car :(
I‘m still analyzing the changes. Some changes have made it through but not others. I’ll have a detailed post about it this week.

Reactions: momo3605
Here is my analysis of the changes I've tested so far @momo3605

Here is some analysis of some of the changes I got made in TomTom.

Unfortunately, this leaves me even more confused.

View attachment 770591

To recap - I thought Tesla is using TomTom maps because the in-car map seemed to have the faults of TomTom, but also where it was correct compared to OSM. But as the above shows - only one of the 7 corrections I've checked actually made it to the new map. And that one correction was correct in OSM to start with. Rest of the corrections are still wrong in OSM.

I wish I had made a couple of those corrections in OSM too, to see what would have happened.

My current hypothesis is - Tesla switched from TomTom to OSM with the latest map. But they didn't overwrite what they took from TomTom as present.

To confirm this - I've to look for places where OSM is correct, but TomTom is still wrong and see what Tesla in-car map has.

That is the problem I'm having. IT is always a place. I pass a super Charger in the morning and or a Starbucks that puts me on the proper path. As you say I have to cancel it to keep going and pressing several buttons distracting me.

I have found leaving the route as is. As I close in on the wrong turn, I simply tell the car to go into the left lane and make it miss the turn, continuing on the right path. Beta retaliates and changes the speed limit to 25 thinking it has turned, instead of the 35MPH posted limit. I simply raise it back up and then Beta agrees, plots the correct path and adjusts the speed limit. I can't do this all the time and certainly only when I don't have someone tailgating me. Otherwise I use the method you recommended.

What does the car do if you have waypoints ... does the car stop in the middle of the road at each waypoint ?
On other brands it would drive through the point and I would acknowledge it. I have not been able to pin an intersection or spot on road. But I will keep trying.

I'm like you I would have to cancel it and reset to my destination. When I did go to Starbucks. it would end once in the lot and auto start the next destination which was greyed out until that point.

On other brands it would drive through the point and I would acknowledge it. I have not been able to pin an intersection or spot on road. But I will keep trying.

I'm like you I would have to cancel it and reset to my destination. When I did go to Starbucks. it would end once in the lot and auto start the next destination which was greyed out until that point.
I've been able to pick places where the route ends in the middle of the road. Just like it does for my home, FSD stops in the middle of the road in those cases. I've not tried to string multiple such targets into waypoints ... may be this weekend.

I've been able to pick places where the route ends in the middle of the road. Just like it does for my home, FSD stops in the middle of the road in those cases. I've not tried to string multiple such targets into waypoints ... may be this weekend.
Best of luck on using waypoints. It takes a lot of tinkering to get smooth transitions at each waypoint. I'm convinced that the coders didn't understand the average user's purpose for adding a waypoint to a route.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
Best of luck on using waypoints. It takes a lot of tinkering to get smooth transitions at each waypoint. I'm convinced that the coders didn't understand the average user's purpose for adding a waypoint to a route.
I think Waypoints is misunderstood. There are basically 2 cases
- Need to visit multiple places
- Need to take a particular route

The way Waypoints is coded satisfies the first case - but not the second. Esp. for FSD Beta, second is the more important case. Even in general second might be the more popular case.