Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have all door problems been solved on new deliveries yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm close to ordering a second Tesla and I'd love an X over an S this time - have the FWD and self presenting front door problems finally been all solved on the latest builds? An X ordered now will get delivered a full year after the first ones. I still see frequent door problem threads but my hope is they are on cars delivered several months ago...

Reactions: BG121
I'm close to ordering a second Tesla and I'd love an X over an S this time - have the FWD and self presenting front door problems finally been all solved on the latest builds? An X ordered now will get delivered a full year after the first ones. I still see frequent door problem threads but my hope is they are on cars delivered several months ago...
The silence is deafening. :(

My X delivered the end of June with a vin in the 10,000's has had not FWD issues so far. I have the drivers door to auto open and the only issue with that is that sometimes I close it and walk around the car and it opens. Does not happen very much and will close on its own. No other real issues, some fit and finish problems that have been resolved.

I live in an area that is full of Teslas and while I have no experience with the X, every one I've seen has had some serious trim alignment issues around the FWD. I walked past two with temporary plates tonight and they both had the problem.

Whether it means the FWDs don't work, I have no idea. But if I my P85D arrived with the fit and finish problems that the X's I've seen have, I'd have refused to accept it.

June delivery. VIN in the 4 thousand something. Zero issues with doors, this forum will make you unnecesarily paranoid about the doors. Not saying some cars didn't have a problem , but I can assure you the grand majority are flawless. Trim Alignment issues are common on the first models , don't know if that is no longer an issue but its just cosmetic and fixable.

It might also depend on how often the doors are being used. The front motors seem like they still have issues with wearing out really fast, and I open/close the doors multiple times a day. Minimum of 5 cycles per day. Might also be why others have the issue more.

I think I'll play it safe and pick up another S. Then trade in my first S for an X after giving Tesla one more production year to work out all the kinks. My S has zero problems and I feel spoiled but it's a 2016 - giving Tesla four full years to work out all the myriad of problems with earlier year Teslas.

I have had my X since may. Love the car but hate the rear doors. They take too long to open and the sometimes go down on their own. My son just got hot it the head with the corner.

Also, I have had issue with the windows alignment to the door frame in the front seats. Trim falling off, seal not tight and calibration issue. UGH

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
No major issues to report. FWD are used daily on my wife's car. Once in a while a door will not close all the way and will beep and require to be reopened and closed.

I do not keep the key fob in the front pants pocket anymore as the FWD have been unintentionally opened or closed when leaning over.

November delivery (Sept build date). No front door or falcon wing door problems, and alignment is pretty good. Everyone loves the doors, especially our kids.

We have had a couple of accidental closings but that's due to the "Close All Doors" feature being turned on in the menus. We might turn it off if it happens again, but for now it seems the benefit outweighs the very rare mistaken activations. A long-press for that function would be a wise change, if you're listening, Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
VIN 17xxx, end Sept delivery ; Model X at SC for now 8 days because of door issues (one FWD refuses to open and the driver's door only opens a little), similar to problems that have been reported in the forum recently (sensor or software fault but still requires overloaded SC to act).

So in the end you may have a problem-free car but it won't happen to anyone...yet. We still like the car but 1/ FWD are a hit and miss, useful some times and a real pain in others 2/ Tesla service is struggling to keep up the exceptional level they had a couple of years ago (the rep on the phone did not register correctly our problem, no one called us, we had to call a dozen time the SC before and during the service for which they are so far missing all the deadline they gave us). And we are stuck with a gas powered rental (not even an S as loaner).

From these posts it sounds like Tesla is steadily improving the doors but hasn't hit complete reliability yet. I have faith and I'll just give the company another year to keep working on it - I'm sure they have an engineering and manufacturing team devoted to solving these problems and they are probably re-engineering small bits of the door mechanisms on a regular basis - it's in their own interest to solve these problems of course so the cars stay out of the service centers.

An S will do for now.