Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have interior dashes changed geometries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at replacing my wood trim in 2020 Model S. Really like an older trim from 2013-2014 but hesitant to purchase for fear the interior dash specs may have changed. Does anyone have any experience with swapping older trim on a newer MS?

Dash and cupholder trim pieces are interchangeable among all MS. I used dark ash trim from a newer car on my 2015.

The facelifted cars got a new center console lid whose trim matches the dash, so if you are trying to use older trim on a newer car, you will be without that piece. I would vinyl wrap the newer console lid with something nondescript if you want to use older trim like piano black or obeche in your 2020.

Dash and cupholder trim pieces are interchangeable among all MS. I used dark ash trim from a newer car on my 2015.

The facelifted cars got a new center console lid whose trim matches the dash, so if you are trying to use older trim on a newer car, you will be without that piece. I would vinyl wrap the newer console lid with something nondescript if you want to use older trim like piano black or obeche in your 2020.
What year is the “newer” car that was compatible with the newer
I'm not aware of any incompatibilities other than the center console. Mine was a straight swap. I even used the clips from the new trim in my old car; they are the same. Even trim from the X can be used on the S and vice versa.
Hmmmm, very interesting ...

What year is the “newer” car that was compatible with the newer

I think there's a typo there. They are all the same. Here are a couple of examples:

This is "old" piano black trim like what came in my pre-facelift 2015:
Set of 3 Dash Air Vent Piano Black Trim 1004518-03-F OEM Tesla Model S 2014 | eBay

This is oak trim which is what I believe you have in your 2020:
Tesla Model S 2012-20- DASH & CONSOLE TRIM- OAK WOOD NAT - 1004518-13 1024237-23 | eBay

The angles are different, but you can see the layout of the clips is the same.

Thanks, Everyone. I've received my MS and have decided to live with the oak dash for a bit. It's actually a bit nicer than I expected, with nice texture and a fair amount of contrast in the color. I think it may grow on me. Really appreciate all the inputs.