Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have my plates, registration, title, and refund check gone missing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The back office seems to be in complete chaos, so your experience is not surprising. It took over 8 weeks, a second temporary tag, and 2 escalations to get my registration completed. Tesla actually called me a couple weeks after delivery and asked whether I paid by check or wire transfer. If they can't even find the payment in their system then it isn't surprising that they can't complete the title and registration work.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
It's been more than 5 weeks since took delivery of my dual motor performance Model 3, so every day I eagerly check my mail box for all of the things in the title of this thread, especially the $5,300 refund check from Tesla. But nada. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Tesla takes for ever to disburse funds. Just wait it out. They will eventually send your money. When I canceled one of my reservations it took two months to see a credit back into my CC

I finally went to the Portland service center to inquire. Got my plates 2 days later and saw on the registeration that it had been posted the day I was there.

Previous story:

My car was home delivered Oct 3 and I paid with a personal check. The check was cashed the next day. On Nov 6, I got call from Portland delivery claiming I had not paid! Sent email to [email protected] with screen shots of front and back of check along with 2 lines from bank ledger showing our account depleted by the check.

Then on Nov. 20, I got a call from someone else (presumably at HQ) claiming I had not paid. Sent him a resend of the one sent to Portland_delivery and he confirmed that he got it while on the phone. Said he would contact Portland to find out where the check is. Said he would call back. Never did.

After a week, sent email asking for status. Got nothing.

On Nov 30, on my model 3 account web page, I used the ask a question feature with escalate also asking for status.

Finally on Dec 5, got a call from Tesla escalate saying all was well.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The back office seems to be in complete chaos, so your experience is not surprising. It took over 8 weeks, a second temporary tag, and 2 escalations to get my registration completed. Tesla actually called me a couple weeks after delivery and asked whether I paid by check or wire transfer. If they can't even find the payment in their system then it isn't surprising that they can't complete the title and registration work.

Not pleased to hear that, but I knew that things were in chaos.

By definition, any buyer who wanted to buy it would "appreciate all the things you have done". By "appreciate" do you mean "pay"?

Yes, there should be a premium for all of the mods, but it's more a sense that the buyer will keep the car in the best possible state as possible. For example, for ten years I owned a Honda S2000, which was extensively modified. Bought the car for around $30K and sold it after a decade for over $20K. The buyer already owned an S2000 and he bought mine so he could track the other and keep mine in pristine condition. He periodically sends me photos of the car. And BTW, he lived in Vancouver and flew to Baltimore to pick up the car, then drove it all the way back to Vancouver. That's kind of what I mean.

Keep us posted when you receive your refund. I paid the full MVPA amount with a bank check during Home delivery on 12/5. Waiting on my $2500 deposit refund from Tesla as well. In hindsight, I should have asked to have my MVPA updated to net off my deposit prior to getting my loan funded... just didn’t want to go back through underwriting at my Credit Union and have whatever issue come up right before I took delivery...

Happy new year...

Keep us posted when you receive your refund. I paid the full MVPA amount with a bank check during Home delivery on 12/5. Waiting on my $2500 deposit refund from Tesla as well. In hindsight, I should have asked to have my MVPA updated to net off my deposit prior to getting my loan funded... just didn’t want to go back through underwriting at my Credit Union and have whatever issue come up right before I took delivery...

Happy new year...

You might want to see if Tesla is actually going to give that refund to YOU or if they are going to send it back to the financial institution as a credit on your account. I am not in banking / finance, but do know that "overpaying for an item and getting a refund to the consumer in cash" is not something many financial institutions like to do.

I would stay after it however, to make sure that your money goes "somewhere".. and preferably back to your account, instead of to you directly.

Got our P3D September 26. Plates took about 5-6 weeks (got through 2 temporary numbers). Title just came in middle of December. Paid in full before delivery. The annoying part is that the plates are registered in August, which means I have to pay the state tax next year by end of July.... Makes you wonder why the year seems to only have 9 months.