Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have not followed up with this forum sometime, any news on HW3 swapping for ppl purchased FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couple people in the states (specifically California) got their Model 3’s retrofitted already. Supposedly they’re doing it in VIN batches, and will give you a call if you’re in the batch to go book an appointment.

Also, Model S and X seem to be having priority over the 3 (as usual with service centres). No one in Canada has gotten it yet so just sit tight.

I saw some post where someone mentioned they got the swap while the mobile tech was fixing something else on their car. I'm still waiting, bought FSD in Jan 2019. I was assuming it would speed up the computer's ability to recognized assorted traffic details - including red lights and stop signs, something else I'm waiting for.

I asked a couple weeks back and was told likely not until Feb/March for model 3 as they would likely do older model S and X first so they could get newer features like sentry mode working. To my knowledge there have only been a handful of upgrades that people have recieved, and there is no way to request an upgrade.

That is 100% not true. I know 4 retrofits first hand, 2 s/x and 2 m3's, so it's most definitely not going older model s/x first. In fact, I'm not aware of any upgrades for MCU1 AP2.0 or 2.5 upgrades. Not that MCU1 has anything to do with it, just saying they are most definitely not doing the older cars first.

Reactions: Vawlkus
I'm guessing there's no urgency to run out and change the modules unless (a) there is software that really needs it or (b) their techs are not busy (or happen to be there doing other work on the vehicle anyway). The other impetus would be (c) let's not have this huge liability hanging over our corporate head.

(Only issue with the module I've heard is that to render - as opposed to detect - traffic cones, you need the HW3 module)

This also relates to accounting rules. I saw an article suggesting there was a half-billion dollars of unrecognized revenue, which according to the GAAP can only be accepted as revenue when FSD is substantially delivered. If Elon can declare "here's your FSD, it works 90% of the time if the weather isn't terrible, we'll keep improving it but it's pretty much delivered" then he can take that revenue. But offsetting that is the liability that tens of thousands of vehicles need a hardware upgrade. But, the longer he puts it off, the more refined the quality of the modules get. (Every circuit board goes through design revisions and firmware upgrades)

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
If you have HW 2.5 you can put in for the upgrade via the app. There are some upgrade kits available, and a mobile tech can do it, although it will likely take a couple hours. I know it’s been done to a Model X in Ontario, because there’s video of it up on YouTube.

HW 2.0 is not currently being given the upgrade, because of issues.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck