Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla made these cars too good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point was that ALL automobiles have issues, the Model X is no exception.

The MX is a 100+K car and for a car in that price range there are issues that a customer should not have to deal with so early in the life of the car. No car comes close to the tech in the Tesla, but it does have numerous fit and finish issues that customers have to deal with at some point.

Just look at the topics being discussed right now on the main page of the MX forum. Perhaps some of these things will be fixed in the new raven refresh, but if Tesla continues to churn out cars without paying attention to QC/QA, their reputation is going to take a hit at some point.

The MX is a 100+K car and for a car in that price range there are issues that a customer should not have to deal with so early in the life of the car.

I presume you haven't owned a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Range Rover??

Lexus apart, I've yet to find a 'premium' brand that can beat even Nissan/Nissan interms of reliability or just having a car that works with no issues. My last BMW was at the shop so often they kept the spare key!! I see BMW finished in last place in the most recent JD Power user survey, yet people still buy them? Why is that?

Lets be honest here everyone pretends they want a trouble free 'perfect' life, but if you look at how our minds actually work been human beings mean we thrive off drama, its why news paper headlines of good news rarely sell like the ones reporting doom/gloom, its also why true 'happiness' has virtually no correlation to productivity, quite the opposite in fact at the extreme ends of the scale. In cars people want new stuff, interesting stuff, and for many thats far more important than ultimate reliability.

If you want a simple and guaranteed trouble free life buy a Nissan Leaf, its cheaper and works fine. But if you want something that makes you smile no car comes close to a Tesla.

Last edited:
but it does have numerous fit and finish issues that customers have to deal with at some point.
Perhaps could it be that eye candish fit&finish (F&F) are low down on the list, and instead driving dynamics, electric power train, tech and ease of use are the primary reasons someone would buy a $100K Tesla?

Every car you buy is a compromise. You wouldn't see me a driving a sluggish ICE car with amazing fit and finish, for even half the price. Because I am not buying a painting to be hung on my living room. For many people it is the driving characteristics and things associated with that (fueling etc) is what they are paying for. They couldn't care less for the paint swirl under the bumper.

Not saying F&F are not important.

a) it is not as bad as some of your make it out to be, for a majority of their cars
b) I would rather see Tesla keep their primary focus on pushing the range, riding comfort, reliability and cost reduction, while improving F&F organically. Which they are doing and have come a long way since 2012.

I think it’s hit or miss. They do make reliable cars, but they also make lemons. If you’re buying a new MX I think you’ll have a good chance of getting a reliable vehicle. Good luck.

In my limited experience this is very true. My wife and I each got a Model X, delivered on the same day about 5 months ago. Hers keeps having troubles (backup cam needed replacing, front passenger door wouldn't close and some component need replacing, key fob needed replacing, audio has these weird pops, computer crashes sometimes while driving, etc...). Mine is great and has had zero issues. Overall we're super happy. Service has been great and we would buy again.

Service did tell me that the cars are either perfect or they keep coming back in with problems. Seems like my wife got one of the problem teslas.

I presume you haven't owned a BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Range Rover??

Lexus apart, I've yet to find a 'premium' brand that can beat even Nissan/Nissan interms of reliability or just having a car that works with no issues. My last BMW was at the shop so often they kept the spare key!! I see BMW finished in last place in the most recent JD Power user survey, yet people still buy them? Why is that?

Lets be honest here everyone pretends they want a trouble free 'perfect' life, but if you look at how our minds actually work been human beings mean we thrive off drama, its why news paper headlines of good news rarely sell like the ones reporting doom/gloom, its also why true 'happiness' has virtually no correlation to productivity, quite the opposite in fact at the extreme ends of the scale. In cars people want new stuff, interesting stuff, and for many thats far more important than ultimate reliability.

If you want a simple and guaranteed trouble free life buy a Nissan Leaf, its cheaper and works fine. But if you want something that makes you smile no car comes close to a Tesla.

I owned BMW, Merc and Audi. None of them had issues right out the door of the dealership like the MX. And that's the point. All cars eventually end up showing issues, but the issues with the MX begin from the factory floor itself. A brand new car should not have to spend over 3 months out of the 9 months of ownership at the SC.

I owned BMW, Merc and Audi. None of them had issues right out the door of the dealership like the MX. And that's the point. All cars eventually end up showing issues, but the issues with the MX begin from the factory floor itself. A brand new car should not have to spend over 3 months out of the 9 months of ownership at the SC.

You can't take a small sample size of BMW, Mercedes and Audi that didn't have issues and compare it to a small sample size of Model X that did have significant issues. You are greatly exaggerating the issues experienced by most Model X owners, many had no significant issues at all.