Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla made these cars too good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does not make reliable cars. I will never expect it will be in one day. It could become one by removing all the advanced technology options in the car. Such as falcon wing doors, front welcome auto open doors, and AP. for sure, it will be more reliable.
I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time at Tesla SC after we get the MX. Picking up the car next week. Finger crossed!

What makes you think so? An early generation Model S has finished 400K miles as a rental car (Check Tesloop interview) without any major problems. My ModelX has a larger than necessary trunk panel gap but is built and feels like a Tank.

...Tesla does not make reliable cars...

My Model X has not encountered any issues since I bought it 2 years ago in 2017 for the past 27,000 miles.

Same with my Model 3 since 2018 for the past 10,000 miles.

My former 2012 Model S did have 3 problems in its old age when it was approaching 100,000 miles but it could continue to run if I didn't fix those 3.

When I had gasoline cars, I was stranded on the roads multiple times (out of gasoline, transmission box, 12V battery...) but that has not been the case for my 3 Tesla cars for the past 7 years.

Tesla does not make reliable cars. I will never expect it will be in one day. It could become one by removing all the advanced technology options in the car. Such as falcon wing doors, front welcome auto open doors, and AP. for sure, it will be more reliable.
I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time at Tesla SC after we get the MX. Picking up the car next week. Finger crossed!

If you remove all those things why not just buy an eTron or EQC?

I love our X BECAUSE of those things, 35k now and loving it, oh none of those things you listed have caused any issues :).

Our two Model 3's have been the most reliable cars we have ever bought (and we've bought a lot of cars in our collective 79 years of being licensed drivers). Every other new car we bought needed to go back to the dealership to have something repaired or one or more defects fixed. Neither of our model 3's has needed a single thing. I'm impressed with their solidness and reliability.

I think it’s hit or miss. They do make reliable cars, but they also make lemons. If you’re buying a new MX I think you’ll have a good chance of getting a reliable vehicle. Good luck.

I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time at Tesla SC after we get the MX

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

If you remove all those things why not just buy an eTron or EQC?

I love our X BECAUSE of those things, 35k now and loving it, oh none of those things you listed have caused any issues :).
I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time
I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time at Tesla SC after we get the MX

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

I think he meant SC as a SuperCharger not ServiceCenter.

Btw, Internally Telsa uses SuC as an abbreviation for SuperCharger - and SC for Service Center

We've all seen the stuff on dropping S/X demand etc, and today whilst replying to a different post I do wonder if part of the demand issue is the fact many of us existing owners simply aren't trading up.

There is only a finite market for high ticket items like the S/X, and most traditional manufactures expect their customers to upgrade every few years.

But with our X, I find it very very hard to justify ever changing it....

So why do people change cars? I can think of three main reasons...

A: New features/stuff, we all like new stuff, and whilst new MCU 2 car get more stuff, dashcam recording/browser update it hardly justification for dropping $$$$ on a new car - Infact with Tesla's recent FSD 'sale', you can argue even a late 2016 AP 2.0 with FSD activated is going to stay relevant on the biggest changes to come.

B: Running costs.....Anyone whos owned a BMW/Merc/Audi will know the NEED for extended warranties and repair bills as the cars age. But despite all the concerns people have about Tesla build quality plenty of reports these cars last well, really well.

C: You just want a change. I think this is partly why the mod market is so healthy for many brands. Often you just want to change, get bored etc. Once you start to look at other cars pretty soon your mind starts to justify the need to change using A/B.

But with our X I just want to keep it, in fact I would be happy to pay for new battery/MCU rather than change the car it self. I don't know why, but there is an emotional connection between us and our car. Even recently when I've been given newer loaners with bigger batteries, I couldn't wait to be back in our own X.

So what do people think? Have Tesla crippled themselves in a way by making such good cars to start with?

They are good cars in terms of tech; nothing out there that comes close to the X when it comes to tech. While you might have gotten lucky by not getting one without any major issues, not everyone with the X is so lucky. Mine spent over 3 months (cumulative) out of 9 at the SC for various build quality issues. It's back in again at the SC for yellow screen.

In reality the build quality of the MX is sh*t, to put it mildly. Yes, they will try to fix it (& if you are lucky, without adding another issue!) when you take it to the SC, but that means your time is being taken up by a brand new car that shouldn't have to be at the SC so often. Until now mostly for free if it's within warranty, but we are already starting to hear about SC charging for things they should not charge, like build quality issues, because the customers are not at fault for those.

Eventually, depending on your luck, there is a high probability that the MX will become just a money-pit.

They are good cars in terms of tech; nothing out there that comes close to the X when it comes to tech. While you might have gotten lucky by not getting one without any major issues, not everyone with the X is so lucky. Mine spent over 3 months (cumulative) out of 9 at the SC for various build quality issues. It's back in again at the SC for yellow screen.

In reality the build quality of the MX is sh*t, to put it mildly. Yes, they will try to fix it (& if you are lucky, without adding another issue!) when you take it to the SC, but that means your time is being taken up by a brand new car that shouldn't have to be at the SC so often. Until now mostly for free if it's within warranty, but we are already starting to hear about SC charging for things they should not charge, like build quality issues, because the customers are not at fault for those.

Eventually, depending on your luck, there is a high probability that the MX will become just a money-pit.
sorry to hear that. What were the issues you faced? I had a misaligned trunk and a fogged tail lamp.

I have July 2018 MX 100D and it has been very reliable. I have had a few glitches, but they have been cleared up by rebooting and software upgrades. Went into the Dublin, California SC twice, once for the enhanced antitheft installation, and once for a variety of software issues, not charging at level 2 chargers, random reboots, dash and MCU screen freezes. They were able to diagnose the car right there by wifi and push a software update to the car immediately as it sat there- I took the car home, did not have to leave it, did the update in the driveway, and all was good. No problems since.

I found out if you are using the dog mode, the screen seems to lock up if you get back in the car and shut the door. The secret is to turn off dog mode when you are in the car with the door open and then the screen will not lock up. I guess they don't want the animals playing with the MCU screen unsupervised!

;-}

There are past threads on this forum, too many issues to repost!

And that is not any different from any other car model forum. People come to forums to complain or to solve an issue they encountered, they generally don't come here to report another day of flawless operation!

But since I'm here, I'll mention both of our Model 3's have cumulatively had 598 days of flawless operation (a few screen reboots on various software versions notwithstanding). No repairs, no troubleshooting, no issues.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Electroman and bayx
I have a Feb 18 X75 and a Feb 19 Model 3 LR. X has 50 000km in it already, zero issues or reasons to upgrade for a long while. MCU i will upgrade though if the old one will not support video when that support is released. Only thing that I can think of that could make me upgrade the car itself is upgraded soundproofing. It is pretty noisy thing with studded tires.

And that is not any different from any other car model forum. People come to forums to complain or to solve an issue they encountered, they generally don't come here to report another day of flawless operation!

But since I'm here, I'll mention both of our Model 3's have cumulatively had 598 days of flawless operation (a few screen reboots on various software versions notwithstanding). No repairs, no troubleshooting, no issues.

This is not the Model 3 forum, so you are posting something that doesn't apply to the MX and the issues with MX are well documented. I don't know anything about M3 because I don't own one. However, as a TSLA share-holder, I am happy to hear that you have no issues with your M3.

Not everyone who comes to the forum comes to complain, but most do come to seek info.

This is not the Model 3 forum, so you are posting something that doesn't apply to the MX and the issues with MX are well documented. I don't know anything about M3 because I don't own one. However, as a TSLA share-holder, I am happy to hear that you have no issues with your M3.

Not everyone who comes to the forum comes to complain, but most do come to seek info.

And that's exactly what I said, that people come here to complain or to solve an issue they encountered.

My point was that ALL automobiles have issues, the Model X is no exception. Forums tend to amplify this. Asking someone to check "past threads on this forum, too many issues to repost" creates the false impression that it's common for Model X's to have numerous serious issues or that they are all the same.

Had a full weekend out with all 6 seats occupied in the X. I even spend some time traveling in the back rather than driving.

Simply an amazing machine, you don't realise how quickly the X can take corners/pick up speed on the drivers seat!!

Looking fowards to owning it for a long while yet :).

Reactions: StealthP3D