TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Have Tesla made these cars too good?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by gangzoom, Apr 26, 2019.

1. aagosh

aagosh Member

What makes you think so? An early generation Model S has finished 400K miles as a rental car (Check Tesloop interview) without any major problems. My ModelX has a larger than necessary trunk panel gap but is built and feels like a Tank.

• Like x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

My Model X has not encountered any issues since I bought it 2 years ago in 2017 for the past 27,000 miles.

Same with my Model 3 since 2018 for the past 10,000 miles.

My former 2012 Model S did have 3 problems in its old age when it was approaching 100,000 miles but it could continue to run if I didn't fix those 3.

When I had gasoline cars, I was stranded on the roads multiple times (out of gasoline, transmission box, 12V battery...) but that has not been the case for my 3 Tesla cars for the past 7 years.

• Like x 4
  3. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

If you remove all those things why not just buy an eTron or EQC?

I love our X BECAUSE of those things, 35k now and loving it, oh none of those things you listed have caused any issues :).

• Like x 2
  4. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Our two Model 3's have been the most reliable cars we have ever bought (and we've bought a lot of cars in our collective 79 years of being licensed drivers). Every other new car we bought needed to go back to the dealership to have something repaired or one or more defects fixed. Neither of our model 3's has needed a single thing. I'm impressed with their solidness and reliability.

• Like x 3
  5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ In loving memory of Version 8

I think it’s hit or miss. They do make reliable cars, but they also make lemons. If you’re buying a new MX I think you’ll have a good chance of getting a reliable vehicle. Good luck.

6. nateliv

nateliv Member

I told my wife we will be spend a lot of time at Tesla SC after we get the MX

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

7. lakemirror

lakemirror Member

Yeah, you said that. You didn't say why.

• Like x 1
  8. aagosh

aagosh Member

9. aagosh

aagosh Member

I think he meant SC as SuperCharger not the Service Center

10. lakemirror

lakemirror Member

Oh, of course! Wow, if you're right it really changes his meaning, doesn't it? :)

• Funny x 1
  11. Zextraterrestrial

I have a '12 that I see no reason to trade...ever
    would add a 3P/Roadster and a pickup if that was actually a possibility

• Like x 1
  12. bayx

bayx Member

They are good cars in terms of tech; nothing out there that comes close to the X when it comes to tech. While you might have gotten lucky by not getting one without any major issues, not everyone with the X is so lucky. Mine spent over 3 months (cumulative) out of 9 at the SC for various build quality issues. It's back in again at the SC for yellow screen.

In reality the build quality of the MX is sh*t, to put it mildly. Yes, they will try to fix it (& if you are lucky, without adding another issue!) when you take it to the SC, but that means your time is being taken up by a brand new car that shouldn't have to be at the SC so often. Until now mostly for free if it's within warranty, but we are already starting to hear about SC charging for things they should not charge, like build quality issues, because the customers are not at fault for those.

Eventually, depending on your luck, there is a high probability that the MX will become just a money-pit.

• Disagree x 2
  13. aagosh

aagosh Member

sorry to hear that. What were the issues you faced? I had a misaligned trunk and a fogged tail lamp.

14. mbp11

mbp11 Member

I have July 2018 MX 100D and it has been very reliable. I have had a few glitches, but they have been cleared up by rebooting and software upgrades. Went into the Dublin, California SC twice, once for the enhanced antitheft installation, and once for a variety of software issues, not charging at level 2 chargers, random reboots, dash and MCU screen freezes. They were able to diagnose the car right there by wifi and push a software update to the car immediately as it sat there- I took the car home, did not have to leave it, did the update in the driveway, and all was good. No problems since.

I found out if you are using the dog mode, the screen seems to lock up if you get back in the car and shut the door. The secret is to turn off dog mode when you are in the car with the door open and then the screen will not lock up. I guess they don't want the animals playing with the MCU screen unsupervised!

;-}

• Funny x 2
  15. bayx

bayx Member

There are past threads on this forum, too many issues to repost!

16. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

And that is not any different from any other car model forum. People come to forums to complain or to solve an issue they encountered, they generally don't come here to report another day of flawless operation!

But since I'm here, I'll mention both of our Model 3's have cumulatively had 598 days of flawless operation (a few screen reboots on various software versions notwithstanding). No repairs, no troubleshooting, no issues.

• Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. _jmk

_jmk Member

I have a Feb 18 X75 and a Feb 19 Model 3 LR. X has 50 000km in it already, zero issues or reasons to upgrade for a long while. MCU i will upgrade though if the old one will not support video when that support is released. Only thing that I can think of that could make me upgrade the car itself is upgraded soundproofing. It is pretty noisy thing with studded tires.

18. bayx

bayx Member

This is not the Model 3 forum, so you are posting something that doesn't apply to the MX and the issues with MX are well documented. I don't know anything about M3 because I don't own one. However, as a TSLA share-holder, I am happy to hear that you have no issues with your M3.

Not everyone who comes to the forum comes to complain, but most do come to seek info.

19. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

And that's exactly what I said, that people come here to complain or to solve an issue they encountered.

My point was that ALL automobiles have issues, the Model X is no exception. Forums tend to amplify this. Asking someone to check "past threads on this forum, too many issues to repost" creates the false impression that it's common for Model X's to have numerous serious issues or that they are all the same.

20. gangzoom

gangzoom Member

Had a full weekend out with all 6 seats occupied in the X. I even spend some time traveling in the back rather than driving.

Simply an amazing machine, you don't realise how quickly the X can take corners/pick up speed on the drivers seat!!

Looking fowards to owning it for a long while yet :).

• Like x 1