Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to do the Car registration by myself in TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if the local DMV updated the policy. I got the new TESLA model S in Sep, but TESLA didn't do the car registration for me and asked me to do it by myself.

Did anyone recently did it, shall I just go to the local tax office for car registration? Have no idea what to do and TASLA just mailed me a few documents without any guidence.

Not sure if the local DMV updated the policy. I got the new TESLA model S in Sep, but TESLA didn't do the car registration for me and asked me to do it by myself.

Did anyone recently did it, shall I just go to the local tax office for car registration? Have no idea what to do and TASLA just mailed me a few documents without any guidence.
You don't have to do anything at the DMV, that is for driver's licenses in TX.

You'll get your sale paperwork from Tesla then you take that to your local COUNTY TAX COLLECTOR's office; that is where you pay your sales tax, and they handle plates, the actual registration, etc. It's pretty easy in most places, unless you live in like downtown Austin as hear they need appointments, have waits, etc.

Reactions: Sigma4Life

You'll get your sale paperwork from Tesla then you take that to your local COUNTY TAX COLLECTOR's office; that is where you pay your sales tax, and they handle plates, the actual registration, etc. It's pretty easy in most places, unless you live in like downtown Austin as hear they need appointments, have waits, etc.
Thank you so much!!! Much appreciated.

Hi travwill,
I came to Tax office this morning, paid the tax and got the plate. Just realize that they keep my Certificate of Origin. Is that supposed to be the way? Will they mail me a different title later? Thank you for your help!

Hi travwill,
I came to Tax office this morning, paid the tax and got the plate. Just realize that they keep my Certificate of Origin. Is that supposed to be the way? Will they mail me a different title later? Thank you for your help!

They will mail you the blue title in a few weeks. Of course, if you have a lienholder (loan), you'll need to send the title to them to hold until it's paid off.