Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect Information on Order Agreement from a Year Ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my model 3 a year ago, my mom did all the online paperwork and I didn’t really participate. My mom and I agreed she would do a down payment for the car, and I would handle the loan (she didn’t want a loan in her name).

But when she filled out all the delivery documentation, she wanted me to pick it up and everything and again the loan in my name, so she just filled out all the documentation with my name to make sure. (I have no idea what she did because I again, wasn’t there to do E-signatures except for the loan and pictures of drivers license). My mom has obviously never bought a car through a website vs a dealership, so idk if she knew everything she was doing, we should have went in person to dealer.

A year later we’re trying to claim the tax credit in her name, but can’t because the 15400 form is in the name of a 19 year old. Tesla has had me running around in circles trying to correct this which I get, but it’s literally just amending a name on a delivery document. I desperately need someone from Tesla to understand my situation, and to fix it. I went to my local Tesla store I took delivery from, and I think the guy thought I was trying by to do some kind of tax scam and didn’t take me seriously (was insanely rude and blew me off).

If you can’t change the form, and I’m not sure you legally can, I’d talk to a tax preparer. They may have a suggestion. Perhaps you can file your own tax return and get the credit yourself, and then pay your mom what that value comes out to (perhaps over several years if you haven’t earned much), but I don’t know how that would affect your mom’s return and you as a dependent. They could give you the best option to get the most out of the credit.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you can’t change the form, and I’m not sure you legally can, I’d talk to a tax preparer. They may have a suggestion. Perhaps you can file your own tax return and get the credit yourself, and then pay your mom what that value comes out to (perhaps over several years if you haven’t earned much), but I don’t know how that would affect your mom’s return and you as a dependent. They could give you the best option to get the most out of the credit.
I'm really surprised they can't change the form, it's just amending a form that was incorrectly filled out. Her name is on the proof of insurance that we sent Tesla...I'm outraged I've called the IRS asking for an amendment, but they say only Tesla can fix it. IDK how this hurts anyone legally or financially, it's just an "oops incorrectly filled out, please just add a name" it's not like I'm asking them to remove my name.

This is good advice. Definitely talk to a CPA or professional tax preparer, they will be able to advise you best. I would not rely on Tesla to fix anything.