Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever been stranded due supercharger failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did encounter a supercharger that was down in Salt Lake at 1 am. There is a service center 1 mile away with destination chargers, and another supercharger about 20 miles away. So worst case, charge on destination charger for 45 min then drive 20 miles to another supercharger. Since my house is 25 miles away and I still had some charge left, and a there were other, more convenient L2 options on the way home I opted for L2 charger down the road.

...no power...

It was a concern when there were very few Superchargers in 2012.

For example, from Orange County to San Francisco, for an MS 85 with 265 mile spec, I need to charge in between which at that time was Harris Ranch. There was no way to know Supercharger status at that time unless you are physically there.

If Harris Ranch was down, the next one would be 111 miles away in Gilroy.

That is no longer the concern with MS 100D and 335 mile spec. If Harris Ranch is down, I would know that in advance by looking at the onboard navigation and select quite a few other alternatives such as:

1) Tejon Ranch
2) Bakersfield
3) Buttonwillow
4) Kettleman
5) Gustine
6) Hollister

By the way, if you arrive at a Supercharger that's out of order, just call Tesla and it will flat-bed tow your car for free to the next Supercharger.

So, even in the old days of 2012, the concern was a moot point.

Reactions: David99
....support of the SC network...

I don't think there should be any fear about the Tesla Supercharger being out of order because Tesla will tow your car for free.

Some related issues are:

1) Time-consuming because a towing truck runs much slower than a performance Tesla does.

2) If you don't plan your charge and let your car runs out of charge before reaching a Supercharger, that tow is NOT free.

3) Long wait line: There are famous busy Superchargers. They are worse on special occasions such as holidays. Tesla needs to size those sites to match the peak traffic. Until then, the trick is to get the longest range Tesla you can so you can re-route to alternative sites and avoid those busy sites.

4) Still slower than ICE cars because Hyundai Ioniq Blue or diesel Chevy Cruze... don't need to stop to re-fuel for a 702 mile trip. But if they need to stop for a break, they are pretty much comparable.