Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - News about EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait so the J1772 adapter would *NOT* work with the HECO units?
No adapter available for the SAE J1772 (DC) Combo adapter.
Here are the DC options available in North America
DC connector images.jpg

here are the specs for AC and DC versions of SAE J1772
chargingtable_10-3-2012.jpg

Thank goodness dsmith and Richard Maui posted something today. Its been nearly a week since something was added. I was beginning to think all of you had left town (and had not turned your fobs over to me.)

Happy 4th weekend everyone. Let's not be in the news next week as a result of a car crash. Been enough of them lately, huh?
Even 1 Tesla is 1 too many.

Thank goodness dsmith and Richard Maui posted something today. Its been nearly a week since something was added. I was beginning to think all of you had left town (and had not turned your fobs over to me.)

Happy 4th weekend everyone. Let's not be in the news next week as a result of a car crash. Been enough of them lately, huh?
Even 1 Tesla is 1 too many.
well, even if I do go to Tesla Connect this year,:confused: I'm still not turning over my FOBo_O to YOU!:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: nanimac
Thanks for the reply, I read that the J1772 adapter will be included with the UMC during delivery, like on the checklist, but I emailed and Tesla said no... So I'm a tad bit confused on the best option to hold me over till the electricians get HECO to pull permits and whatnot... Why can't we just have a supercharger already?

Wow! Over 5,000 EVs in the state! Based on our Tesla count, more than 10% are Teslas!

ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN HAWAII

The numbers of electric vehicles in Hawaii every November since 2006:

2006 123

2007 162 31.7 percent

2008 170 4.9 percent

2009 173 1.7 percent

2010 158 -8.6 percent

2011 563 256.3 percent

2012 1,098 95.0 percent

2013 2,054 87.0 percent

2014 3,099 50.8 percent

2015 3,919 26.4 percent

2016 5,009 27.8 percent

Source: State Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism

• Informative
Reactions: spleen and GSP
An excerpt from an editorial in the Star Advertiser today re: EVs.. hints at what's coming in the future and the next legislative session

Promote use of EVs on isle roads

Boosting the ownership further will take continued support from the marketplace. Dave Rolf, the executive director of the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association, said his industry already has significant buy-in with the technology. More than half the dealerships now sell EVs, he said. Raising public awareness of federal tax credits, free parking and other inducements, customer interest should prompt more dealers to do the same.

Additionally, advocacy groups like Blue Planet Foundation are seeking federal funds to establish a carsharing network of EVs. These are cars available for short rentals, positioned at strategic commuting destinations. This would expand EV use to those currently unable to buy their own cars.

Meanwhile, increasing the number of EV charging stations to match the growth of EVs is a significant challenge.

Hawaiian Electric Industries plans to have 11 “fast charge” stations installed statewide by year’s end, with 25 installed by early 2018, said HEI spokesman Peter Rosegg. Positioning these stations near places like condos and apartment buildings will make an EV seem like a more practical purchase for those who don’t live in single-family homes equipped with individual charging outlets.

Charging stations can be expensive to install in public parking lots, said state Rep. Chris Lee, who chairs the House energy committee, because retrofitting the higher-power variations can require cutting through concrete and making costly electrical upgrades to older facilities.

Lee plans to propose expanding the number of required EV charging stalls — now one for every 100 in a public lot. He acknowledged that the rule has not been enforced, but it’s still a good idea, encouraging property owners to think of this as something that will become expected customer service in the future. When customers start to go elsewhere, enforcement won’t be an issue.

What may help, he said, is the advance of portable recharging stations, comprising repurposed battery units. The units can be recharged slowly using standard electrical outlets and be available for quick discharging into a parked EV.

Thanks for pointing out this article. I just wrote an email to Rep Lee asking for his support in adding some language to the law that imposes a fine on non-EV drivers for parking in EV charging spaces. I hope you do the same.

I chatted with him at the Blue Planet EV drive. Seems to be pretty close with that organization even though he doesn't have an EV o_O.

Here's his email: [email protected]