Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Oahu Plug-in America event - who's interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hawaii was the first state to adopt a law stating that condo associations can't "unreasonably" disallow unit owners from installing EVSEs. This was after a Roadster owner was denied for no reason other than the condo association didn't want to deal with it.

I don't recall if it applied to apartments or not (Dan would know; introduce yourself if you see him at the event - he is always happy to talk to owners). But in any event, encouraging new apartments & condos to have wiring is a great idea too. Vancouver BC was the first city I know of to do this; developers made a huge fuss about the expense, but soon discovered the wired units sold faster and for a premium, and now they happily wire more than they are required to. Incidentally, Vancouver did it because EV owners volunteered for on committees that approved building codes.

The issue now is not the condo associations disapproving the EV installations (I was approved by my HOA with no problem) but with the complexity and cost of installing the electrical infrastructure in the parking structures.
if I had an extra $50K - $100K laying around I might consider doing it myself, but realistically that is not going to happen.

Ok..the plug in weekend is THIS weekend. Am thinking we do an informal drive and can register it on the plug in website. Plus I'm sure Akikiki would love to show off Tessie Too! How's Sunday afternoon for everyone? Meeting spot ideas? Maybe we can finish the drive to Kailua or head to the North Shore?

I'm voluntering at the Senior Fair from 10-2 so hopefully I can join you after that. I want to see Akiki's Tessie Too!

I was able to take a secret picture of Akikiki's Tessie Too...
rotisserie-chicken-550x380.jpg

Last edited:
MEET-UP DETAILS
Here's my thoughts on the meet-up.

Sunday, Sept 29th @ 3:00
Where: Someone covered this time ---Blaisdell parking lot - there's a Senior Expo until 4 though so not sure how crowded it will be
OR TJ Maxx lot
Drive: Out to Maunalua Bay for pics then on to Kailua - parking garage near Longs/Macys. We can firm up the plans when we meet.

Let me know your input. Recommendations?

MEET-UP DETAILS
Here's my thoughts on the meet-up.

Sunday, Sept 29th @ 3:00
Where: Someone covered this time ---Blaisdell parking lot - there's a Senior Expo until 4 though so not sure how crowded it will be
OR TJ Maxx lot
Drive: Out to Maunalua Bay for pics then on to Kailua - parking garage near Longs/Macys. We can firm up the plans when we meet.

Let me know your input. Recommendations?

Sounds good to me. Perfect as is. (What/where's the TJ Maxx you are referring to, please?)
"Someone covered this time." I guess we all need to wear hats.:wink:

Either one is perfect for me. TJMaxx does offer two charging spots (instead of the 1 at Blaisdell) and if you park the cars right, the stalls adjacent to the designated EV charging spots can be used to eliminate jockeying the cars around when someone is done charging. Sunday shouldn't be too crowded at the charger, but during the week there are plenty of Leafs taking up spots. (I think I'll call them the cockroaches of EV cars:cursing:)
the TJ Maxx is at ward center. the parking garage next to Pier 1 imports.

"Someone covered this time." I guess we all need to wear hats.:wink:

Either one is perfect for me. TJMaxx does offer two charging spots (instead of the 1 at Blaisdell) and if you park the cars right, the stalls adjacent to the designated EV charging spots can be used to eliminate jockeying the cars around when someone is done charging. Sunday shouldn't be too crowded at the charger, but during the week there are plenty of Leafs taking up spots. (I think I'll call them the cockroaches of EV cars:cursing:)
the TJ Maxx is at ward center. the parking garage next to Pier 1 imports.

Hey, hey, hey, my daily driver is a Leaf, lol

Sounds like I'll be able to show up for a little though probably will need to take off around 5. :)

Last edited: