Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

heat pump issue experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 21 M3 back into the shop within a week for the heat pump issue. 1st time the shop replaced the heat pump. within a day, the car is giving me the same VCFRONT code and the is back to the SC again. It has been 5 days and the service advisor informed me they dont know what is going on. I mean they gave me a loaner but it is not my car. For those who had to deal with the heat pump issue, is this common (revisiting the shop within short period of time for the same issue)? i was going to replace my 2nd car with tesla but now i am holding on to see if tesla can correctly fix the heat pump issue permanently.

I haven't heard of that, but have been absent from forums for a while. May I ask how many miles on your car? We have almost 10K on ours, and no heat pump issues so far. But when I bought it, since the heat pump was just implemented, I was afraid of exactly that: early adopter problems. My car still has the old headlights, so it was one of the first 2021s. Did you notice any changes, other than the code? And by the way, WHERE did you see the code? To be more informed if something like that happens to our car.

Finally, I honestly wouldn't have only 2 vehicles, and both electric, at least not yet. One of our 2 daugthers lives in Amarillo, and there are no super chargers anywhere in that huge area; only those 'mickey mouse' ones that would take 5 hours to recharge the car. We'd have to take a 155-mile detour thru Albuquerque. If we were to travel at 55, we might make it in 'fumes', but no way I'd travel like that. And it's kind of a PITA to spend that much time recharging anyway, so the Tesla became a city car now, which is what it really is IMO. I was thinking of a Model S, but it has basically the same limited highway range as the LR M3 we have now, since it's heavier and consumes more energy (and also takes longer to charge). So bought a luxury SUV, which is much quieter, and a lot more comfortable, with twice the range. And that's what we use exclusively to travel by land.

I haven't heard of that, but have been absent from forums for a while. May I ask how many miles on your car? We have almost 10K on ours, and no heat pump issues so far. But when I bought it, since the heat pump was just implemented, I was afraid of exactly that: early adopter problems. My car still has the old headlights, so it was one of the first 2021s. Did you notice any changes, other than the code? And by the way, WHERE did you see the code? To be more informed if something like that happens to our car.

Finally, I honestly wouldn't have only 2 vehicles, and both electric, at least not yet. One of our 2 daugthers lives in Amarillo, and there are no super chargers anywhere in that huge area; only those 'mickey mouse' ones that would take 5 hours to recharge the car. We'd have to take a 155-mile detour thru Albuquerque. If we were to travel at 55, we might make it in 'fumes', but no way I'd travel like that. And it's kind of a PITA to spend that much time recharging anyway, so the Tesla became a city car now, which is what it really is IMO. I was thinking of a Model S, but it has basically the same limited highway range as the LR M3 we have now, since it's heavier and consumes more energy (and also takes longer to charge). So bought a luxury SUV, which is much quieter, and a lot more comfortable, with twice the range. And that's what we use exclusively to travel by land.
6k miles, have the car for 10 months. this is the first winter for the tesla.

the codes come up from the center screen, the codes are vcfront a447 and vcfront a531 and asks you to take the car for service. a message "the cabin heating/cooling limited or unavailable/" also appears in the notification.

when the lost of heat happened 1st time, I got off work and there was freezing rain (and i parked outside). the vent was blowing only cold air. the windshield was all frosted up no matter how much i scrapped the ice off. the car was completely not safe to drive. i ended up staying at work for extra 6 hrs until the weather was warm enough so the windshield was not frosted up again. and i had to drive the car to the SC with windows opened to prevent fogging inside, it was around 36F.

trust me, i will not take the car on road trip in winter time.

Oh man; sorry to hear that. I took the car on a 1,300-mile round trip to Austin in winter just once, but fortunately, other than a scare where it didn't want to take a charge (it finally did on the THIRD stall), and an absolutely ridiculous range (about 200-mile range, using heat), no other surprises. But we lost HOURS charging the damn thing, so it was the last time we took it on a trip in winter. We did one more in summer, and range was much better, but still a PITA, with no cover at the superchargers, so had to stop at gas stations anyway, to clean the darn windshield. We like it for the city, but unless you're an adventurer, and have lots of time to kill, it's no travel car.