Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like my heat pump finally failed like many others: VCFRONT_a531 error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was stopped at a red light after grabbing coffee this morning and looks like my heat pump finally failed like many others on this forum. Luckily my heating still works for now, but I'm guessing the car has detected an imminent failure somewhere thus prompting the error code. My error code is slightly different than the other threads I've seen on here: "VCFRONT_a531" is what I have vs. "VCFRONT_a447". Not sure it makes any difference though.

Requested service on the app and within 15 min already had the following estimate to replace the entire heat pump it looks like. Parts won't be in til next week so I'll have to wait til around Christmas to get it fixed. I'm guessing this is a very labor intensive process and will take a few days. Thankfully it failed now vs. later as I'm at 47k miles, just shy of being out of warranty! Probably at least a few thousand dollar fix out of warranty I'm guessing...

IMG_5333.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

1702484941989.png

Reactions: rotarypower101
How much is this heat pump repair typically out of warranty?

Did the unreliability of the heat pump effect all models, or a select subset between certain dates?

Has it been determined, did tesla rectify the issue on subsequent releases if it was hardware problem, or was it more of a software fix how the heat pump was operated? Bit fuzzy what the underlying problem was from the thread found?

Possible the damage was done before a fix was put into place leading to the issue, and more examples with damage will be failing due to those problems as time goes on?

Possible anyone has a thread they follow that details this issue clearly?

Reactions: FatM3
Im unable to find anything on these forums to corroborate that "many others on this forum" are experiencing heat pump failures.

Where have you heard about high numbers of heat pump failures?
Tesla has definitely had their issues with the heat pumps. Many articles out there if you google "Tesla heat pump issues." You will also find many Reddits on it too. A few threads below from a quick search on here and as noted above by @afty. Affects the Model Y as well as they are all the same parts essentially.

I also noted a repeated clicking sound today...my heat pump is definitely failing but maybe just hasn't quite kicked the bucket yet.

Last edited:
Seems like majority of search results are from Jan 2022 to Feb 2023, with less results in 2023, so I wonder if this is an issue that mostly affects 2021-2022 models and it's fixed on newer cars.
Most issues naturally appear in the winter when the heat pump is being used in cold temps, so we shall see over the next few months.

I hope you’re right as this first came up around Jan 2022, so new hardware was likely developed and tweaked after that you would think.

Although this person just had his new Model Y fail but may have just been low refrigerant per end of thread:

Last edited:
The heat pump is used year round and cools the car in summer… its the same compressor/system…

I didnt know this until I watched a youtube video put out by someone who explained how heat pumps (not necessarily in a Tesla, in general) work. They are basically Air conditioners that can run in reverse. I know you know this, saying it for others like @Jeremy3292 who was under the impression that they would be used only in winter.

The heat pump is used year round and cools the car in summer… its the same compressor/system…
I’m aware how a heat pump works (my house is all electric). The issue is the ambient cold temperatures in the winter that are causing the heat pump issues with the refrigerant, valves, etc. If you read the forums, articles, and Reddits you will see that.

There are no issues in the summer when the heat pump is being used.

Reactions: ucmndd and XPsionic
Heat pumps run at a higher pressure in heat mode than cooling mode. So whatever is failing when the pump is in heat mode is likely some seal that can't take the higher pressure.

My Model 3 is this vintage. If it fails I hope it is under warranty. I don't use the heat mode much in Texas.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Pretty sure the heat pump has finally failed this morning. Not really getting any heat now. I also now have persistent error “VCFRONT_a447” that doesn’t go away, the error everyone else had. Perhaps the “VCFRONT_a531” error is failure imminent and “VCFRONT_a447” is it has failed lol.

Luckily I live in SC where the low temp is around 30 degrees in the morning. I can’t imagine having this in an actual cold place. Could you even defrost your windshield to drive it to service? Unfortunately the first appt wasn’t until 12/26 so I’ll have to wait awhile to get it fixed.

IMG_5363.jpeg

IMG_5364.jpeg

Last edited:
Was stopped at a red light after grabbing coffee this morning and looks like my heat pump finally failed like many others on this forum. Luckily my heating still works for now, but I'm guessing the car has detected an imminent failure somewhere thus prompting the error code. My error code is slightly different than the other threads I've seen on here: "VCFRONT_a531" is what I have vs. "VCFRONT_a447". Not sure it makes any difference though.

Requested service on the app and within 15 min already had the following estimate to replace the entire heat pump it looks like. Parts won't be in til next week so I'll have to wait til around Christmas to get it fixed. I'm guessing this is a very labor intensive process and will take a few days. Thankfully it failed now vs. later as I'm at 47k miles, just shy of being out of warranty! Probably at least a few thousand dollar fix out of warranty I'm guessing...

View attachment 998981

View attachment 998980

View attachment 998974
I have the same problem from yesterday.
Indicates VCFRONT_a447 error message.
I see that many people have this problem.
Since my Tesla model Y is just out of warranty, I am afraid to contact Tesla service directly.
Does anyone know what exactly this error means and how to fix it?

New Member, any advice would be much appreciated:

I do lots of freeway communiting for work and club soccer coaching and this weekend we got on the freeway heading to my daughters soccer game 1.5hrs away, noticed on the freeway our heater was not workig and then noticed we got a service alert - checked it out and came to be VCFront_a447, turned climate control off rest of the drive and on they way back suited up with blanket and jackets.

We are currently at 56k and fresh out of warranty, so I scheduled a service, luckly Portland can get us in tomorrow, but they today already sent me the "estimate" , they haven't even physically seen the car and they already know what the issue is and how to fix it??!!!

1. Supermanifold ASY
2. AC Line ASY
3. AC Line ASY CMP to Manifold
4. Assembly AC Compressor

totaling almost $3K with labor, was concidering trading my wife's lexus sedan for an M3 but upon researchign this error finding it's extremly common WTF!?

No recalls? any one else having any issues?

We live in Hood River so it does get colder but nothing crazy, and none of my other cars have heating isssues do to the cold! (Ford/Lexus/LandRover)

any info advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna

I do lots of freeway communiting for work and club soccer coaching and this weekend we got on the freeway heading to my daughters soccer game 1.5hrs away, noticed on the freeway our heater was not workig and then noticed we got a service alert - checked it out and came to be VCFront_a447, turned climate control off rest of the drive and on they way back suited up with blanket and jackets.

We are currently at 56k and fresh out of warranty, so I scheduled a service, luckly Portland can get us in tomorrow, but they today already sent me the "estimate" , they haven't even physically seen the car and they already know what the issue is and how to fix it??!!!

1. Supermanifold ASY
2. AC Line ASY

totaling almost $3K with labor, was concidering trading my wife's lexus sedan for an M3 but upon researchign this error finding it's extremly common WTF!?

We live in Hood River so it does get colder but nothing crazy, and none of my other cars have heating isssues do to the cold! (Ford/Lexus/LandRover)

Thank you
What manufacturing date is the vehicle?

1. Supermanifold ASY
2. AC Line ASY

Thank you
Unfortunately yes, you need a new heat pump. That sounds right. If you didn’t read through this thread already I would recommend doing so. I am the OP who had the same issue but I was under warranty still.