Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat shield noise from rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
So, my 2018 model 3 has ~61k miles on it so far, and this evening I heard from the rear(left, I think) a pretty significant noise that were this an ICE car I'd attribute to a loose heat shield for the exhaust or fuel tank, with a lightweight metallic character and a bit of an echo. Obviously, my 3 has no such contrivances. I haven't jacked up the rear of the car yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else has heard this sort of noise in the past and determined what it was.

I was not accelerating in a meaningful way, driving not even 5 mph in a parking lot. I didn't roll over anything, and the pavement was smooth except for me driving over a manhole cover at that very moment. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a loose/rocking manhole cover. I've heard a much less significant such noise a few time in the past when not rolling over anything. If I had thought enough about it at the time I would have returned for another pass at the manhole cover.

Thanks for any ideas!