Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Detached Garage in Winter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered my M3 SR+ on July 3rd!

Question: I have a detached garage with a natural gas heater that I don't typically run— I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to set that to maintain a temperature over the winter for battery health / range? If so, what would the ideal temperature be?

I've been too afraid to run my heater in the intense cold (sometimes -30°C here in Alberta) because my previous vehicle's windshield cracked due to the temperature differential just from driving inside... I think a lower temperature would prevent that.

Thanks!

Save the gas. Just leave the car plugged in to 240V service. The car will then look after itself. Use the app to preheat your car’s cabin when needed. You can also program in a time to have the car charged, warm up and ready to go if you leave the same time every day. I only run my garage heater when I want to use the garage as a workshop.
Amazing. I'm just wrapping my head around this — you can heat the car in the garage because there are no emissions... no brainer. Very excited.

I’ve got a question that seems to align to this thread. So I figured I’d ask here rather than starting a new thread.

I’m in Winnipeg where it can be colder than -20 for multiple weeks in a row. I have a car port (closed on 2 sides but open on two), I’m getting a 50amp receptacle installed. This is fine right? Like as long as the car is plugged in it will keep the battery at a safe temperature? If it’s plugged in all night will I experience the cold battery icon and not be able to use regen in the morning? I drove a volt throughout last winter and I never experienced any battery problems having it plugged in to a 120v outlet. But I know it had a battery conditioning feature to keep the battery warm.

I’ve got a question that seems to align to this thread. So I figured I’d ask here rather than starting a new thread.

I’m in Winnipeg where it can be colder than -20 for multiple weeks in a row. I have a car port (closed on 2 sides but open on two), I’m getting a 50amp receptacle installed. This is fine right? Like as long as the car is plugged in it will keep the battery at a safe temperature? If it’s plugged in all night will I experience the cold battery icon and not be able to use regen in the morning? I drove a volt throughout last winter and I never experienced any battery problems having it plugged in to a 120v outlet. But I know it had a battery conditioning feature to keep the battery warm.
To avoid the snow flake, you can charge the battery before leaving.
Anyhow, -20 is not going to damage the battery, it will just affect your performance and your regen.

Unsafe temp for the battery starts bellow -40 as per the owner manual.

I had the first Nissan Leaf in Montreal and have a detached garage...that I can heat.

No need to heat the garage for your Model 3. I normally park outside but put my Leaf in the garage on charge when it was really cold as the battery would get so cold it would not regen at all.

Putting it in the garage kept it out of the wind and when it charges it gives off heat and warms the garage. As someone said heating above zero will just make it rust more and cost you $.

I am amazed at how much the slush and snow just evaporated off the floor even in the cold.

Last winter I only put my model 3 in the garage if there was a big storm for convenience but otherwise I just leave it plugged in outside and preheat , don’t even use a snow brush :)