Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked white. Not too existing color but simple. Also Tesla website says it is multi-coat white. The paint looks pretty good but I am not a paint expert (i.e. no tool to measurement paint depth and so on).
I have a 2018 model 3 in white. Pearl White, $1500 premium, multi-coat.
Every time I see a Lexus in Pearl White, I think "that is how to do Pearl White, not like mine."
My Pearl White is barely different than flat white.

At least the white doesn't show dirt like Black and Navy blue. But it never looks as good as Black or Navy on a freshly waxed car.

PeterT

I have a 2018 model 3 in white. Pearl White, $1500 premium, multi-coat.
Every time I see a Lexus in Pearl White, I think "that is how to do Pearl White, not like mine."
My Pearl White is barely different than flat white.

At least the white doesn't show dirt like Black and Navy blue. But it never looks as good as Black or Navy on a freshly waxed car.

PeterT

Maybe older pearl white is different. My Model Y in white is stunning, especially up close - with the metallic speckles (?) it's a long way from flat white, it looks great.

As a long time BMW guy, who owns a 2008 328 I miss the heated wheel that became available in 09 (my 98 528 had it).

I have looked into retrofit but the biggest problem is the clockspring that allows the signals and power to go to the wheel as it turns, I can’t see how a no heated wheel clockspring would have the wires so it would need a wheel and a clockspring as well as additional wiring

As a long time BMW guy, who owns a 2008 328 I miss the heated wheel that became available in 09 (my 98 528 had it).

I have looked into retrofit but the biggest problem is the clockspring that allows the signals and power to go to the wheel as it turns, I can’t see how a no heated wheel clockspring would have the wires so it would need a wheel and a clockspring as well as additional wiring
All of the required hardware is in the wheel itself - a slightly modified harness (extra blue connector) and a steering wheel controller change.

The clockspring on the car just has two connectors - one for the airbag and another for the whole steering wheel harness. It is my understanding that the wire configuration to the plug has not changed.

Reactions: Goodtohave
All of the required hardware is in the wheel itself - a slightly modified harness (extra blue connector) and a steering wheel controller change.

The clockspring on the car just has two connectors - one for the airbag and another for the whole steering wheel harness. It is my understanding that the wire configuration to the plug has not changed.
So technically it's doable! Just hope that they'll offer this upgrade option later.....

Anyone know if we change out the older steering wheel and replace a new one are we able to get heated wheel as well (just a thought)

Cheaper to just get a steering wheel cover than to try and replace the steering wheel. Only $18 from Wish in some psychedelic colours with plenty of reviews giving 4.5 stars.

Attachments

• EF889193-E2D9-4996-8550-8017FB5312CA.png
    EF889193-E2D9-4996-8550-8017FB5312CA.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 125
  • 698D2137-9952-4A31-9CF0-A7496AFBE666.png
    698D2137-9952-4A31-9CF0-A7496AFBE666.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 318F3EDD-7F2C-47B0-808A-431AF600BD14.png
    318F3EDD-7F2C-47B0-808A-431AF600BD14.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 2CCAB1D0-4509-4950-B6D6-C7E62E7F6326.png
    2CCAB1D0-4509-4950-B6D6-C7E62E7F6326.png
    3 MB · Views: 45
Anyone know if we change out the older steering wheel and replace a new one are we able to get heated wheel as well (just a thought)
Well someone here in the forum wrote about trying to do that and so far it didn't work for him.
He ordered a new heated steering wheel with new cable harness from Tesla service.
He installed the new steering wheel but the software didn't recognize it. He went to Tesla service and they couldn't help him because they can't find in the software any option to unlock the heated steering wheel feature. So unfortunately the hardware retrofit is useless as long as Tesla service doesn't have the option to enable/disable it.