Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y OEM steering wheel fit model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a lead on a model y steering wheel at an auto wrecker. I'm wondering if it would fit my 2018 model 3, and if so would the heated steering wheel function work? I think there is a wiring harness, etc needed but I might even be able to pull that out of the wrecked Y.

My gut says no go, but I'm curious to try if the wheel isn't too expensive. It doesn't have the airbag, that's the main thing I'm wondering about swapping over. I'm pretty sure the wheel itself will fit on the steering column...

I found a lead on a model y steering wheel at an auto wrecker. I'm wondering if it would fit my 2018 model 3, and if so would the heated steering wheel function work? I think there is a wiring harness, etc needed but I might even be able to pull that out of the wrecked Y.

My gut says no go, but I'm curious to try if the wheel isn't too expensive. It doesn't have the airbag, that's the main thing I'm wondering about swapping over. I'm pretty sure the wheel itself will fit on the steering column..
I bought a yoke for my Y and the description said it would fit both a 3 and a Y, so maybe it would work?

All the install videos I watched on YouTube had the same wiring harnesses for the 3 and Y. This was for 2021+ model year though, you would have to confirm for a 2018. Swapping the air bag over was pretty simple.

I would be surprised if the heated steering wheel worked as it would be a popular upgrade from Tesla if it was as simple as swapping the wheel. But just a guess.

Good luck.

The wheel would fit but the heating element will not. There is an updated steering wheel module that is needed to control the heating element. But that still won’t do you any good since the software function to turn the wheel heat on/off won’t be available in your car.

And as a previous comment said, the wheel material will be a downgrade from your original leather wheel.

Reactions: pcons
You can make it work. You need a heated wheel retrofit board and a CANServer... I've had a heated wheel in my 2019 for a year now and it's been fantastic

To determine if the Model Y steering wheel is compatible with your 2018 Model 3, it's crucial to consider the year and manufacturing plant of the Model Y. If your original Model 3 steering wheel has a heating function, that feature still work.

In case you're considering a replacement, you might want to explore Tesery steering wheel, they are in Black Friday event. Our custom steering wheel offers a cost-effective solution. Feel free to check out the details on our website.