Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated wheel not so hot after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve noticed that since 50.7 (maybe even 50.1 but can’t recall using this feature then) that the wheel heater isn’t as hot as it used to be. Before my wheel would get quite hot to the point that I would have to eventually turn it off. Now it just gets warm. Not sure if this is an adjustment where it’s in line with the cabin temp setting or just a bug (my cabin was set to 75 when I paid attention to this).

Anyone else noticed this with the new update or is it just me?

I’ve noticed that since 50.7 (maybe even 50.1 but can’t recall using this feature then) that the wheel heater isn’t as hot as it used to be. Before my wheel would get quite hot to the point that I would have to eventually turn it off. Now it just gets warm. Not sure if this is an adjustment where it’s in line with the cabin temp setting or just a bug (my cabin was set to 75 when I paid attention to this).

Anyone else noticed this with the new update or is it just me?

I wondered the same thing! Thought it was my imagination at first. I distinctly recall times when I felt the steering wheel heater is too hot and wish it had different levels besides just on/off. Post-update, the steering wheel doesn't get nearly as hot and now I wish it would get a tad warmer. I am never satisfied, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: powaking
Have to test this myself if MCU 1 cars ever get the 40.50 update. I’ve always thought the same about the heated steering wheel. Thought it was made for subzero (F) conditions and never could leave it on more than a few minutes.

But I’d rather have it too hot than just warm with no way to turn it up if needed. Now if it had three settings...

I’m wondering if turning it down is even possible , though. Can an OTA update even do this? Always thought it was so mechanical this wasn’t an option.

So I’ve noticed when the external temperature is above a certain number, the amount of heat varies. I could be wrong here but living in Canada, heat is a must have for 6-7 months of the year.

During days above 15c...nice enough but not really warm, the steering wheel gets to a comfortable warm. As it dips under 10c and into the single digits centigrade, I’ve noticed it heats up to that borderline burning hot to the touch.

Noticed this for 3 seasons now...

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So I’ve noticed when the external temperature is above a certain number, the amount of heat varies. I could be wrong here but living in Canada, heat is a must have for 6-7 months of the year.

During days above 15c...nice enough but not really warm, the steering wheel gets to a comfortable warm. As it dips under 10c and into the single digits centigrade, I’ve noticed it heats up to that borderline burning hot to the touch.

Noticed this for 3 seasons now...

Temps hasn't been too cold here past few days but will try to pay closer attention to what the outside temp is and how it compares to the temp of the steering wheel. Right now its warm to the touch without gloves to the point where I don't even turn it off. Before it was pretty much turn it on the warm up the wheel then turn it off shortly afterwards. Would be nice if they eventually get around to putting a 1,2,3 setting. Even a setting with or without gloves would suffice.