Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater element in rear window possibly broken again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the complete rear window replaced a couple of months ago after the cracked glass issue that affected a number of August 2019 Model 3 deliveries. That time there was a clear crack in the glass and the job was done no questions asked and under warranty.

I've used the demister very little since then but had cause to the other day - it wasn't a full mist up job but a light covering of raindrops where application of the heater can usually help shift it. However no joy - it didn't look like the heating element was on at all.

I have an inkling that the element/fuse has gone again although this time there is no sign of a crack in the glass or broken element.

Ideally I need a full mist up to test with but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to suggest that the missus comes out to help with that 😉. I don't have an electrical tester so is there any other way of working out if the element is working or not please?

Cheers

Am I misremembering things or did you say previously that you had to get Tesla to code the rear heating "option" to the car after you first had it installed?

I have been told by more than one tech that coding options, if not done properly, will result in them being removed again after the car sleeps or phones home, because the mothership doesn't accept that you should have that option.

Does the rear demister icon come on when you activate it?

I'll ask my son to borrow the car with his girlfriend for an hour. Maybe not :)

I'll try switching it on and then seeing if the elements get warm. I can confirm that the icon does come on and that it wasn't me who needed Tesla intervention to code the option - it just worked as expected until it cracked the glass last time :(

I'll report back on what I find.

Cheers