Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello Computer? No touchscreen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I scheduled my car to start charging at 10AM. I plugged it in and went to sleep happily. Why 10AM? That is when my solar panels are producing enough to handle the charging. No sense charging at night and paying $X/kWh when the utility only pays me $Y/kWh and $Y < $X. Have done this before and it's always worked. Only have had the car 5 weeks, so the sample size is small. Tried to use the app to check on how it was charging and the app wouldn't connect to the car. It normally connects just fine. Went out to car, screen was dark. Opened a door, screen stayed dark. Strange I thought. Removed the charging cable and got in the driver side. Nothing, still dark. Stepped on brake pedal. The headlights came on since I was in a dark-ish garage. The blinkers worked. No screen. I even tried, "Hello Computer" but no response. How quaint. I pressed and held down the 2 buttons on the steering wheel for about 10 seconds (wasn't sure how long they needed to be held). Nothing. Very strange. So I got out and did an errand outside of the house.
When I came back a few minutes later, I opened the door and YAY, the screen lit up. Sadly no charging had occurred.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
On a side note, I am assuming the computer is run from a SSD, not a spinning disk. Is that assumption correct? Has Tesla always used SSDs?

Thanks for any ideas on WTF happened.

I have experience dark screen once after upgrade to 28.5. After the reboot (hold 2buttons on 5he wheel for several seconds) and finally the screen came back . Only happened once and don't know if it is related to the firmware upgrade or not.