Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Kansas City, MO.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P300 VIN 3046

85kWT / Black / Tan Leather / 21" Silver / Obeche Gloss / Tech Pkg / Sound Studio /AA Suspension /Parcel Shelf / Armor /SCH

Hello:

Great information on the forum. Reading as much as I can before my car arrives in the next week.

P300 VIN 3046

85kWT / Black / Tan Leather / 21" Silver / Obeche Gloss / Tech Pkg / Sound Studio /AA Suspension /Parcel Shelf / Armor /SCH

Hello:

Great information on the forum. Reading as much as I can before my car arrives in the next week.
Welcome! I think you're the first actual post from KC. I'm down in Nixa (near Springfield, MO), there are several Model S's in St.Louis and one I'm aware of in Tulsa. I drive to KC about twice a year and may hit you up for a place to charge someday (esp. if you're getting the wall charger). Happy to reciprocate if you're ever down in this area. Be sure to keep an eye on the Midwest forum here too. Would be fun to have a Missouri gathering at some central location one day. (maybe an RV park so we can all charge)

Add another one in Olathe!!

I have been following Tesla for a while and finally put down my deposit after visiting the Oakbrook store and seeing the car in person. Reservation #15,306, so unfortunately I've got a bit of a wait to go.

I'd love to hear what your experiences are especially with the colder temps and how that impacts your range and where all the good charge spots are. We are definitely going to have to work a bit harder to find spots than our friends of the East and West coasts!

i hope to see you driving around town soon.

Hello Evan: I woud be happy to accomodate your charging needs. I did order a charger. I am trying to determine where to place it now.

Hello Schnetzer: We will have to meet up when your car arrives. All the Walgreens in town have a free charging station. I looked one over and believe it is a type 2. I post my experience with it when I give it a try. I live in Brookside.

Hi Liz: Ill let you know when it arrives.

I signed up with Charge Point tonight. http://www.chargepoint.com/

I was surprised to see that there are 36 locations in Kansas City and all but one of them are free. The performing Arts Center is charging $1.00 /hr.
All of them have 208/240V, 30A, J1772 ports.

What is the recharge rate for the J1772?

Around 20 miles per hour

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Hello from Bella Vista, Arkansas

I signed up with Charge Point tonight. http://www.chargepoint.com/

I was surprised to see that there are 36 locations in Kansas City and all but one of them are free. The performing Arts Center is charging $1.00 /hr.
All of them have 208/240V, 30A, J1772 ports.

What is the recharge rate for the J1772?

This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. My reservation number is 13,967 and I need to finalize by 2/11.

I’m trying to determine if I can use the Model S to visit kids in the Minneapolis area – usually 3-4 times per year.

We live 200 miles south of Kansas City so that should be a problem but then it’s another 180 to West Des Moines where we usually stop to sleep. The next day it is only 240 miles to the Minneapolis area so hopefully with the Des Moines stop of 15 hours we can get a complete charge.

With only 20 miles per hour charging in the Kansas City locations will we need to stay 7-8 hours before continuing on to Des Moines? Not really desirable as it will make for a very long day.
Model S Res. #13,967 (AR), non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Panoramic, Tech, Air Suspen

Hello from Prairie Village. I picked up my beauty in Denver on February 4 and had a nice drive home. I'm still amazed that I am privileged to own such a fine automobile. It has a few punch-list items to be fixed when I can get an appointment in St. Louis, but certainly not enough to dampen my enjoyment.

For those looking for charging on trips through Kansas City, you should sign up on plugshare.com so you can find all the public charging stations and the private ones which are available for use in the area. Many EV owners in the area have 240V/50A(~30 mi/hr) circuits available, which are much better than the typical public J1772 charging station; you just will usually need to phone ahead to set it up. Also remember campgrounds such as KOA, which usually have 50A service, are a good place to stop and charge overnight or for a lunch stop.

For those of you in the immediate area, the Prairie Village Earth Fair is happening April 13 at Shawnee Mission East HS, and the Mid-America Electric Auto Association will have a display of EVs, including at least one Tesla. I hope I'll see some of you there.

Model S VIN 4337 -- Grey, 85kWh (non-perf), Lacewood, grey interior, Pano Roof, Air Suspension, 19" rims, huge EV grin

This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. My reservation number is 13,967 and I need to finalize by 2/11.

I’m trying to determine if I can use the Model S to visit kids in the Minneapolis area – usually 3-4 times per year.

We live 200 miles south of Kansas City so that should be a problem but then it’s another 180 to West Des Moines where we usually stop to sleep. The next day it is only 240 miles to the Minneapolis area so hopefully with the Des Moines stop of 15 hours we can get a complete charge.

With only 20 miles per hour charging in the Kansas City locations will we need to stay 7-8 hours before continuing on to Des Moines? Not really desirable as it will make for a very long day.
Model S Res. #13,967 (AR), non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Panoramic, Tech, Air Suspen

15 hours on a standard 30A J1772 charger should be enough for a full Range charge. The 240 mile leg in the winter might be too close for comfort though from what I've read (see ChadS's excellent threads about range).
How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?
and
Putting some numbers on the factors that affect range

In Kansas City, maybe making a friend with a HPWC to charge at 80A if you are getting twin chargers (buy them dinner or something) would work. That or finding an RV park near the city to charge at 40A would make day go quicker.

You'll likely want to find an RV park between Des Moines and Minneapolis that you can take a 2 hour break just to be safe. During the spring-fall driving ~60 mph you should make it on a single charge but will definitely want a backup. Hopefully a Supercharger will appear along your route making this easy at some point.