Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Plano, Texas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've wanted a Tesla ever since the Model S was first released so I'm pretty excited to finally be joining the EV club!
We'll be moving from a 2019 Land Rover Discovery (which we love and will greatly miss) to a Model Y Long Range.
The test drive showed tell there are a lot of things the Discovery had in its favor that the Model Y does not but we're hoping the stuff the Y has in its favor will make up for them!
I didn't have a speech prepared but I'd like to thank my agent and Land Rover's vehicle shortage for making this happen as my dealer is paying me to surrender my lease due to being desperate for vehicles to sell and it's a financial no brainer to spend that windfall on the Tesla.

Reactions: byeLT4
I soooo agree. I am just north of Plano TX (in Van Alstyne). Successfully talked my wonderful wife out of a Lexus 350 after I surprised her with a MY test drive. She fell in love with a red LR, amazing storage, and the quiet ride. I resisted having her "floor it" for fear of scaring her away. Just received our VIN and delivery scheduled soon (6/8-6/14). However, she has now agreed that I need Tesla's new pickup so signed up for delivery next year (hopefully).

I have installed the home charging station, and ordered floor matts, screen protector, security USB, and jack lift plugs. Would love to track down some mud flaps considering the outside configuration. What a terrific car!

Not far from us then!

You're a bit ahead of us though, I called my electrician this week and he may show up next week to fit a NEMA 14-50, however I told him no rush (not a good idea with electricians typically).
I will order an extra charger, NEMA 14-50 adapter, homelink and USB from Tesla, Then from third parties probably a screen protector, frunk and under floor liner/mat, plus a load space mat and an additional one for the back of the rear seats for when they're folded.
Until I get the car I'll hold off on other things like storage subby trays and such until, I know how I want to use everything. Not sure if I want to get a replacement wireless charging mat that works with the iPhone 12 Pro Max, or just get a phone bracket which includes the same... I like the isdea of the screen rotation bracket but the website says Model Y 2020 and makes no mention of 2021. I also don't know if a shade is needed for the glass roof as I expected it to be but the 30min drive in the demo car in midday sun seemed fine...

I've wanted a Tesla ever since the Model S was first released so I'm pretty excited to finally be joining the EV club!
We'll be moving from a 2019 Land Rover Discovery (which we love and will greatly miss) to a Model Y Long Range.
The test drive showed tell there are a lot of things the Discovery had in its favor that the Model Y does not but we're hoping the stuff the Y has in its favor will make up for them!
I didn't have a speech prepared but I'd like to thank my agent and Land Rover's vehicle shortage for making this happen as my dealer is paying me to surrender my lease due to being desperate for vehicles to sell and it's a financial no brainer to spend that windfall on the Tesla.
Did you got your car?

Not sure if this helps, but both of us upgraded to 12 Pro Max and the standard wireless chargers in the MY work quite well!
I switched phone cases to the clear Apple one and it does indeed charge.
I did notice that after 45 minutes I got an overheat warning on the phone though which is interesting as I don’t when I wirelessly charge at home but the home charger is a MagSafe stand with just a little circle on the back of the phone whereas sitting on the mat in the car doesn’t give any airflow over the back of the phone maybe?

I haven’t fitted them yet and I ordered months ago so probably I’ll forget some but:

Homelink
Retractable trunk cover
Trunk and back of rear seat mats
Trunk side storage bins
Center console trays
Cup holder rubber insert to grip smaller cups
Jack pads
Alloy foot pedals
Rear vent covers
Under seat drawers
Screen protector
Tesla First aid kit
Tesla tyre pump and fixaflat
NEMA 14-50 adapter for mobile connector
Right angle USB C to A adapter and USB stick for music in glove box
Open EVSE home “charger”
Black “dual motor badge”

I think that’s it for now…

I was thinking about the screen pivot bracket but I don’t know if I really need it.
I’d like to get the powered frunk mod done but I’d need to find a shop that is familiar with doing it because I can’t be bothered.
I’m not sure what floor mats I want to get, most likely carpet or similar though.
Also not sure what frunk and trunk under floor liner/organizer I want to get yet either.

I haven’t fitted them yet and I ordered months ago so probably I’ll forget some but:

Homelink
Retractable trunk cover
Trunk and back of rear seat mats
Trunk side storage bins
Center console trays
Cup holder rubber insert to grip smaller cups
Jack pads
Alloy foot pedals
Rear vent covers
Under seat drawers
Screen protector
Tesla First aid kit
Tesla tyre pump and fixaflat
NEMA 14-50 adapter for mobile connector
Right angle USB C to A adapter and USB stick for music in glove box
Open EVSE home “charger”
Black “dual motor badge”

I think that’s it for now…

I was thinking about the screen pivot bracket but I don’t know if I really need it.
I’d like to get the powered frunk mod done but I’d need to find a shop that is familiar with doing it because I can’t be bothered.
I’m not sure what floor mats I want to get, most likely carpet or similar though.
Also not sure what frunk and trunk under floor liner/organizer I want to get yet either.
Thank you so much

Hey LoneStarEve, great list of upgrades. I also added a "spare tire kit" for "traveling in less populated areas" (like West TX). I store it in the garage to reduce weight/space in MY. Looks like many car manufacturers are removing as standard equipment (lowers cost/weight, only small percentage of drivers know how to change a spare, and about 85% of cars scrapped end-of-life still have new spare/jacks onboard). My thoughts...on the back roads with a flat....start looking unpleasantly vulnerable!

I used ModernSpare and really impressed. Spare tire with beefy carrying case, jack, jack-handle, lug-nut wrench, work gloves, safety vest, and orange warning triangles. I just added flashlights, flares and med kit....and maybe a few chocolate bars!

Reactions: LoneStarEve
Hey LoneStarEve, just thinking…..the one issue noted with a "spare tire kit"…. I was not impressed with the ModernSpare scissor jack provided (it worked OK on a flat garage floor when tested, but concerned for safety when used on the roadside). Based off research on these forums, I bought a low-profile Porsche 944 jack on ebay ($85). I milled down the aluminum oval nubbin into a round shape to be a perfect fit (and replace) the lift pucks. I also bought Rennstands + Tesla adapters that are perfect for tire rotations in my garage (expensive, but safe and solid). Have a terrific EV day!

Reactions: LoneStarEve