Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help a potential new MYLR understand [why I cant get promo apr applied to existing order]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put Y on order a week ago with promise from SA delivery would occur within a few days. Advised by SA they couldn’t deliver. Given new date of 14th. Modified vacation for 14th pickup. 0.9% financing promotion surfaced. Asked to apply new financing offer as I qualified. Told I’d have to cancel. Unknown if $250 can be recovered. Unknown if trade in value will remain the same. Unknown delivery date. Why not simply apply new financing to order that’s ready and waiting? Seems nonsensical. Financing 16k for 4 years with a 841 CS. Am I missing something? Hell… I probably could have been talked into an upgrade or two… maybe a MYP…
Nope. Back of the line. You’ll known something when we do. Pickup location is Jacksonville FL.

Ok then. If they are that literal then.. that’s the landscape… lol. Was thinking they’d just modify the sale date… Guess I was foolish in thinking it was that easy. Thanks for the explanation.

If there was no order fee, they wouldnt "just modify the sale date", they would tear up your order and have you order again so that you fit within the dates of the offer.

No car dealer would "just modify the sale date", but they would do what I said above (cancel and re order for you so you fit the new date), since most dont have an order charge.

Its not quite the same thing, even though the appearance to a customer would be similar. One is falsifying information, and one isnt.

Reactions: Steel_Cobb
If there was no order fee, they wouldnt "just modify the sale date", they would tear up your order and have you order again so that you fit within the dates of the offer.

No car dealer would "just modify the sale date", but they would do what I said above (cancel and re order for you so you fit the new date), since most dont have an order charge.

Its not quite the same thing, even though the appearance to a customer would be similar. One is falsifying information, and one isnt.
Ok. That’s understandable. Thank you for the clarification. Guess it’s better to sit back and watch.

Ok. That’s understandable. Thank you for the clarification. Guess it’s better to sit back and watch.

Np.

One thing you are correct on though, is at a traditional car dealer, "making a sale" is how they put food on the table, so the "salesperson" has an incentive to both make the sale, and also make it for as much money as possible (since they usually make commission on the profit).

The better you are at negotiating at a traditional dealer, the less profit there is for that salesperson, and the less that salesperson tends to "bend over backwards" for you, unless you are dealing with a fleet manager who makes money on units sold, vs individual vehicles or something.

Conversely, at Tesla, they would prefer you order in the app, and never talk to anyone again until someone chats you to tell you a vin is assigned, and discusses scheduling your delivery date with very little flexibility in the date. The upside of this process is that there is no "finance office" where someone is trying to sell you an extended maintenance plan, or tire warranties, or anything else.

The downside, is ANYTHING outside the box is either "no" or like moving a mountain. The easiest way to "deal with" Teslas order process is to be ok with ordering online and no contact, and to minimize anything thats an exception. No "can I get the car moved over here to this other delivery center?" no "Oh, my trade in, im not happy with the price, can we discuss that? (the answer is "no, you cant"), etc.

Its not for everyone, frankly, but for me, I very much enjoy the "no finance person / sales person" experience, even though I am quite good at negotiating car deals the traditional way. Being good at it doesnt mean I like it (I dont).

Reactions: thyname
I’m still in limbo. SA said wait till Monday and I’ll talk to my manager about the situation. Honestly I’d love to pick one up in Orlando instead of Jacksonville. Tons available here. SA is in Vegas, and honestly, I don’t see any one of them working that fast to backfill my info, trade, etc into the system to make it work. We will see how it pans out. I’ve stopped chasing Tesla tbh. If he doesn’t call or exercise some motivation and due diligence, I’m driving home in a reliable and paid off Toyota Tundra. Not being an ass… I just can’t comprehend why refreshing the data and closing is so slow. Maybe they have more buyers than cars?

The sales process at Telsa is just different.
Promotions are set by corporate and no sales person has the power to do anything other than what is coming down from corporate.

The reason they cannot adjust your order is no one has the power to do so. Is a pain but your date will likely not be much different if you cancel and place a new order (minus the $250)

They need to move these model Y's ; before the Juniper but first month of a quarter there will never be anything off.
End of Q1 they offered nice discounts ; now it is the discounted financing for May (Telsa is losing money on the financing so similar to a discount).
End of Q2 I would guess they might combine the low financing along with discounts on current in stock inventory - no charge paint, seat color type things but not on new builds (will be a must take delivery by 6/30 kind of thing so that likely starts June 15th or similar)
End of Q3 / Q4 ???
2025 The Y will be the refresh version just like the 3 played out for 2024. Maybe the new Y even comes a little earlier despite what they are saying?

Those that know the brand would never buy a Y in 2024 without some sort of promo (financing or discount). Those buying the 3 right now are not getting anything.

Reactions: Tierhog
Yep. You speak the truth. I can see it already… I’ll move on and return to my 9-5 and he’ll call and start barking out what I have to do next two weeks from now. lol.
Honestly if he can’t keep his word and return the call today I’ll likely ditch the effort. It’s my $. I don’t do the chasing. Probably not their ideal customer anyway. Was spoiled by Lexus. We will see.

When I recall years back when first shopping for my Model 3 - first Telsa
They really had adopted an Apple store type experience and they were perfectly comfortable if they were not a fit for all buyers.

Never any discounts, had way more buyers than sellers, buyer had to wait months, do everything themselves online, arrange their own financing, etc..
They encouraged you to buy a different brand if you wanted to be coddled. I think now they have tried to adapt more to the market and be more of a mix of what they were and a traditional dealer. Personally I like the shopping experience and love the driving experience more importantly so they have gained my repeat business.

I traded in my m3 last month for a MYLR. I called the Service center delivering the cars, did a VIN swap for a color change(since it was free) kept the same contract and everything actually lowered my OTD price by a little bit. Had to call in about trade-in as well. Always were helpful.

I tried to call the pickup location and it said they weren’t available on a recording and hung up. I wouldn’t necessarily expect “coddling” as a purchaser, maybe follow-up/accessibility? It’s ok though, I realize people have a different way of doing business now. I want the car, I don’t need it.

I tried to call the pickup location and it said they weren’t available on a recording and hung up. I wouldn’t necessarily expect “coddling” as a purchaser, maybe follow-up/accessibility? It’s ok though, I realize people have a different way of doing business now. I want the car, I don’t need it.
They did layoff a bunch of people, So it likely could have gotten worse. I just wasn't getting any response from the app.

I ultimately did the entire order again and they charged the 250$. Rumor was they would credit me the second reservation fee and attempt to give same value as trade in… which is remarkable. They pull that off and give me a solid Austin build and I’ll be eating crow pie for my complaining. New date is beginning of June. Explained I can only pickup on weekends due to work. We will see. I’ll give updates so similar situations offer hope and bolster expectations some.