Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: armrest teardown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gameplan is to install a garage door opener in the arm rest. I'm taking a universal garage door opener, soldered a toggle switch to it and want to put it inside the arm rest. The button will be hidden to the left of the armrest release button so I can hit it when my arm rests on the armrest.

Question: how do I unclip the leather armrest from the plastic housing without damaging anything?

Attachments

• 20200816_191959.jpg
    20200816_191959.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200816_191953.jpg
    20200816_191953.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 145
Not necessarily. If someone can teach me how to 'pop' the arm rest up without damaging it, the rest is super easy. I'll post pictures once I'm done. Guarantee others will like saving $300 and doing a simple mod like me. Trust me, I'd prefer the $300 deal but can't swallow the cost on principal alone. Thanks for the post.

Not necessarily. If someone can teach me how to 'pop' the arm rest up without damaging it, the rest is super easy. I'll post pictures once I'm done. Guarantee others will like saving $300 and doing a simple mod like me. Trust me, I'd prefer the $300 deal but can't swallow the cost on principal alone. Thanks for the post.
Haha, fair enough. Good luck with the mod. :cool:

For the sake of someone searching for garage door opener armrest mod, this post serves to finish the thread. Nothing worse than looking for something and finding what you need that turns up incomplete.

The armrest is very difficult to pry apart, a friend popped his off and it was not easy. He did damage doing so. For this reason, I'm not going this route with the garage door opener. Instead I'm taking a recommendation from another post and sticking it behind the screen with double sided tape. Completely hidden, unnoticeable and very usable. The end.

Attachments

• 20200822_131545.jpg
    20200822_131545.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 127