Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger door check mechanism not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard a pop from the passenger front door while opening in garage. Didn't hit anything so the origin wasn't obvious at first. But then we noticed that the door would not stay open on its own - it would not rest/stop in the two or so positions it normally does. So you have to hold the door open in order to get in or out so it doesn't close on you.

The culprit appears to be this lower plastic door check.
door issue.jpg

There is some side to side play in it if you move with your hand - it seems to be off track or something is broken in the door or both. The driver side works and this piece is firmly in place as you open and close the door.

Putting in a message to service but thought I would share here in case anyone has insights or if this is something you can pop back in yourself. We took delivery about 60 days ago and it's been in service or the body shop for 25 of those days dealing with delivery issues. We were hoping to finally have our car back.

I've replaced those before on other cars. Not a Tesla though. They are all mostly the same. It's just a rod with bumps in it to act as detents. There are plastic rollers that push against it on both sides. The rollers wear out and break off. It's easy to take off and replace. It's harder to get the plastic rollers out of the door because they fall inside if it breaks. A Tesla tech should be able to change it out in 15mins.

Reactions: thefisch
Service messaged to come by and look at the issue. I think they wanted to see if it was an issue caused by the body shop but it wasn't. Since they didn't consider it a safety issue, then told me to just put in a ticket. First available appointment is more than a week away but will see if they switch it to mobile.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Don't they have to take the door panel off of the problem is the rollers in the door.

My *guess* is that there are a couple of bolts that attach the door check mechanism to the front of the door and after undoing those you (well, they) can pull out the whole unit without taking off any door panels ... but it's only a guess

so 5.5 minutes now 🤡

Got the car back the other day and the issue is fixed. The door panel has to come off as the 'receiver' end of the check strap gets installed in the door cavity first - it's held on by those two bolts you see sticking out. Then you attach the strap with the single bolt to the frame. Maybe it still only took them 5 minutes ;)

Of course service giveth and taketh away. In the process of fixing this issue, they scratched the door panel and I think broke a clip as I heard something rattling around at the bottom of the door panel. Yay!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Got the car back the other day and the issue is fixed. The door panel has to come off as the 'receiver' end of the check strap gets installed in the door cavity first - it's held on by those two bolts you see sticking out. Then you attach the strap with the single bolt to the frame. Maybe it still only took them 5 minutes ;)

Of course service giveth and taketh away. In the process of fixing this issue, they scratched the door panel and I think broke a clip as I heard something rattling around at the bottom of the door panel. Yay!
Did they give you any hassle? Same here, 90 days into ownership and multiple
issues.