Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Camera blinded or blocked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I picked up my MYP I have received the door pillar camera blocked or blinded notification when driving at night. Happens pretty much at all times: right side, left side, multiple cameras. Took it in for service last week for this issue and was told it was fixed (not sure how they could verify this before driving at night). I Just got home… it’s not fixed and still doing this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this to this extend (almost constant) and if so how was it ever resolved?

CF25009A-F04A-4E48-9570-F8BFBC22E00E.jpeg

I've been getting a lot more of these warnings lately and from multiple cameras. Maybe it's the newer software version that I'm on 2020.32.21 ? It also makes me worry about the day that the warranty runs out, as this car is full of electronics and bugs that never seem to go away (Phantom braking, cameras blinded, spontaneous reboots, media player that continues to lose features over time, etc...).

Did you recently have work done on your car (PPF or ceramic)? Saw this same message on my ride back but was temporary.
I had the front end done in PPF about two months ago. But I got the message the whole way back home after I picked it up. Picked it up in Colorado Springs and drove about 300 home. I figured it needed to adjust or something, but it’s never gone away.

This happens at night when driving in an area with no houses or lights. It's dark, the camera can't see, thinks it's blocked. That's my theory anyway.
That’s a good theory, It makes sense. I live in a pretty dark area with no lights, but it’s happening in well lit areas too. I will keep an eye to see if it’s happening more in the darker areas than well lit areas. Good info thanks!

I've been getting a lot more of these warnings lately and from multiple cameras. Maybe it's the newer software version that I'm on 2020.32.21 ? It also makes me worry about the day that the warranty runs out, as this car is full of electronics and bugs that never seem to go away (Phantom braking, cameras blinded, spontaneous reboots, media player that continues to lose features over time, etc...).
I agree. I’ve experienced my share of bugs with the car as well, which sucks cause I just got it in mid June. The phantom breaking is pretty scary, cameras blinded is annoying, Spotify can’t sign me in at any time, my spoiler is falling off too haha. Hope it’s all resolved before warranty is over, but heck I doubt I’ll keep it that long anyways

Just got my first "left front fender camera blinded/blocked" message for the first time in 3 weeks ownership of my MY. In a partly clouded day in the morning, clear and dry road and nothing more than a few cars around and there's nothing whatsoever that I can imaging that should have caused this warning to show up...

But seems like a somewhat common problem that comes and goes for many unfortunately.

Since I picked up my MYP I have received the door pillar camera blocked or blinded notification when driving at night. Happens pretty much at all times: right side, left side, multiple cameras. Took it in for service last week for this issue and was told it was fixed (not sure how they could verify this before driving at night). I Just got home… it’s not fixed and still doing this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this to this extend (almost constant) and if so how was it ever resolved?
Yes, MYP 2021, July. I get this every time I drive of a night. I am driving in the countryside, so no lights etc. Maybe it thinks it is blocked due to the complete lack of light?

Reactions: Skyeforge
I had a similar situation driving at night on a long road trip (pitch black through the mountains). Both cameras gave the same error (I was on 4.18). It said it was reducing AP features, but I didnt notice anything change. Still maintained lane and speed so I didnt bother contacting service. I figured I have 4yrs of warranty, I'll just see if it gets fixed with a SW update.

I did have it happen another time, I dont think it was night, but again, it hasnt happened enough for me personally to contact anyone about it. Just annoying to see it pop up. Like I said before, the car is under warranty for a few years so until it REALLY annoys me, I'm just gonna let it be.

I get those messages white often. Service told me it was normal. I insisted they come out to fix it and they did come. They said they fixed it ..not fixed at all. Never happened with my 2018 M3. Only my 2021 M3. I find it extremely irritating. Thinking of getting rid of the car , invoking the lemon law if they cant fix it

I get these warnings a few times per week in my 3. Sometimes it mentions the front pillar cameras and sometimes the front fender. It happens day and night, even on clear days. Sometimes when it happens I open the rear view camera (which shows front fenders) and the image looks fine to me. I’ll have to take more photos to show the service shop.