Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Charging Door Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, I own a Late 2014 P85DL A few weeks back a warning on my dash appeared statiing " Charge Port Door Sensor Fault" Charge port door may not operate as expected. I drove it to Tesla who checked it out and said probably water in the sensor. No Big Deal if you can live with the notification keep driving it. YESTERDAY it got far worse. It charges and drives fine but the door does not shut or open. A zipping sound can be heard except when in Park or Charging. Sounds like a zip over and over as the door struggles to move like a stripped gear of some sort. If I'm parked is stops and allows charging. But Everywhere I drive this constant zipping noise is driving me nuts. I'm a retired electronic and electrical automobile tech.
I hold a college degree in electronics and have extensive knowleadge of mechanical repair. I can most likely fix this if I can remove the unit. I've gained access to it but don't want proceed further until i know how to completely disconnect the power to the entire car and area. Looking for anyone who's done this or knows even how to fix it. My car except for drive train is out of warranty. I love this car. Any and all help appreciated.

Hi All, I own a Late 2014 P85DL A few weeks back a warning on my dash appeared statiing " Charge Port Door Sensor Fault" Charge port door may not operate as expected. I drove it to Tesla who checked it out and said probably water in the sensor. No Big Deal if you can live with the notification keep driving it. YESTERDAY it got far worse. It charges and drives fine but the door does not shut or open. A zipping sound can be heard except when in Park or Charging. Sounds like a zip over and over as the door struggles to move like a stripped gear of some sort. If I'm parked is stops and allows charging. But Everywhere I drive this constant zipping noise is driving me nuts. I'm a retired electronic and electrical automobile tech.
I hold a college degree in electronics and have extensive knowleadge of mechanical repair. I can most likely fix this if I can remove the unit. I've gained access to it but don't want proceed further until i know how to completely disconnect the power to the entire car and area. Looking for anyone who's done this or knows even how to fix it. My car except for drive train is out of warranty. I love this car. Any and all help appreciated.
Hey - did you get to the bottom of this? Were you able to get it resolved? Started getting the same error message on my Model S a few days ago and am out of warranty so I’m hoping I don’t need to replace the door or the port. Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

F9EA72D1-1A4C-4F4A-9207-EED041728E22.jpeg