Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help fixing speed limits in neighborhoods without signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my neighborhood, (suburban, hilly, windy, narrow streets) there are few, if any, speed limit signs (only on the major arteries)
FSD, when a sign isn’t visible, observes, I believe, a state mandated speed limit for the type of road.
The problem is…a safe driving speed on many of these streets is 20-25 MPH, but for some reason, the car thinks the limit is 35 MPH (dangerously fast!)
I’ve written to Tesla (via service in app), tweeted @Elon, written to Google Maps, and updated the speed limit on a few streets at OpenStreetMap but haven’t gotten anywhere, car still defaults to 35 MPH
Does anyone know who to contact to adjust the default speed limits (for roads without signs)?
I know to adjust my speed, obviously, and take extra precaution, but the fear is a driver, unfamiliar with the area might, be put in a dangerous situation.
thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: jhneuerburg
This is NOT in any way a Tesla issue. Tesla doesn't and CAN'T regulate (local or any) traffic laws based on an individual's subjective opinion. You will need to contact your local governing authority and have them regulate/change and post the non default speed limit.

In my neighborhood, (suburban, hilly, windy, narrow streets) there are few, if any, speed limit signs (only on the major arteries)
FSD, when a sign isn’t visible, observes, I believe, a state mandated speed limit for the type of road.
The problem is…a safe driving speed on many of these streets is 20-25 MPH, but for some reason, the car thinks the limit is 35 MPH (dangerously fast!)
I’ve written to Tesla (via service in app), tweeted @Elon, written to Google Maps, and updated the speed limit on a few streets at OpenStreetMap but haven’t gotten anywhere, car still defaults to 35 MPH
Does anyone know who to contact to adjust the default speed limits (for roads without signs)?
I know to adjust my speed, obviously, and take extra precaution, but the fear is a driver, unfamiliar with the area might, be put in a dangerous situation.
thanks
Assuming your GPS is working fine and reading your street location correctly, Tesla’s navigation is pulling speed limit data from elsewhere, whether it be Google Maps, OpenStreetMap.org, etc.

There isn’t currently a clear mechanism to update incorrect data. The best we can do at this time is to submit corrections to those sources, keep repeatedly submitting bug reports using the voice command (not usually read unless in a service ticket), or try disengaging FSDb and use that offered feedback recording to repeatedly report this issue as well. Think of it as similar to intersections or sections of road where FSDb consistently operates incorrectly still, and disengage to drive manually.

It sounds like you’ve already tried these, but they aren’t direct lines of communication to edit the large database. Perhaps there will be a way in the future, but even for other vehicle navigation systems, there was no easy way to update incorrect map data. I used to get another purchased navigation map data DVD from Acura just to switch out the trunk DVD to update the map data.

• Informative
Reactions: haroldo
Assuming your GPS is working fine and reading your street location correctly, Tesla’s navigation is pulling speed limit data from elsewhere, whether it be Google Maps, OpenStreetMap.org, etc.

There isn’t currently a clear mechanism to update incorrect data. The best we can do at this time is to submit corrections to those sources, …

It sounds like you’ve already tried these, but they aren’t direct lines of communication to edit the large database. Perhaps there will be a way in the future, but even for other vehicle navigation systems, there was no easy way to update incorrect map data.
Thanks for your helpful answer
I am encouraged that improvements are happening, albeit rather slowly. The speed limit in my garage (yes) and driveway was recently reduced from 35MPH, to a much safer 25 MPH
In general, I don’t think it’s appropriate to use FSD on narrow local neighborhood streets, as it isn’t with the risk. I mainly use it early in the morning (5AM on way to work), when there is no one on the street.

Reactions: TresLA
Thanks for your helpful answer
I am encouraged that improvements are happening, albeit rather slowly. The speed limit in my garage (yes) and driveway was recently reduced from 35MPH, to a much safer 25 MPH
In general, I don’t think it’s appropriate to use FSD on narrow local neighborhood streets, as it isn’t with the risk. I mainly use it early in the morning (5AM on way to work), when there is no one on the street.
I use it all the time. Depending on whether others (pedestrians, drivers/passengers, cyclists) are around to be scared, I may give the accelerator a push to hurry up, or disengage completely at the slightest hint of something going wrong (including turn signals going off at the wrong time), and reengage when clear of the danger. As with any new skill (driving with FSDb is not the same as anything before), it takes some practice before it’s muscle memory. My point being, it can be as safe as driving manually where anyone observing the car from the outside wouldn’t know you were using FSDb.

Yes, speed limits are often “assigned” (probably more like carried over) from whatever streets they’re attached to, but just like encountering a smaller radius curve or unexpected objects on/by the road, the vehicle should adjust its speed lower, no matter the displayed speed limit/max TACC speed. I will also often spin the dial down if it doesn’t feel appropriate.