Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - I want to buy a Model 3, but it's Difficult!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, first post here.

So, I drove the model 3 and loved it - as I'm sure all of you here do as well! It's the first non-sports car I've ever driven that has made me sit here and think about seriously purchasing it new (I'd never buy new!)

A couple of things that I've been finding it difficult to pull the trigger:

Basically every thread I've read says go with the longest range you can afford! But at this point it's only long range or short range.

For new, I see no point of getting a LR AWD when you can get the performance software for 2k more. The only problem is that while I think that the acceleration is fun, I have fun sporty cars that are slower, yes, but I still think more fun to drive. So the performance wasn't the biggest turn on for me as it is for some. But range, I would love to have a longer range! So that leaves me with a used LR RWD or a new P3D- (think I'm using that correctly). The LR RWD's I've seen are as low as 42900 used with no autopilot to around 45k with autopilot. At that point it's about the same price as the performance since tax credits and I live in PA so there's an additional 1500.

That all being said, honestly it is kind of a stretch for me to do 45-50k anyways. I'm not allowed to trade in two cars. My two car payments add up to $600/mo which is comfortable for me. Adding on a $600/mo payment on top of a $200/mo payment is a little much, but I was told that Tesla only accepts 1 car to trade-in now.

So, I reconsidered and drove the SR+ which is a fun car still! The lighter weight you can definitely feel around the bends, and the power is more than enough for a daily (wrx/330i/maxima territory). Though, obviously I only get 240 miles of range (less in winter/80% charge) with that and a whole bunch of downgrades like no rear heated seats and what not. AWD is not a seller for me. My concern is that with battery degradation and newer EV's making 250 miles the standard range, the prices are gonna plummet for SR+, while I feel the P3D- will hold value well. I think it's crazy how well these cars have held their value, but they've also had some odd MSRP changes that I don't think the used car market knows how to deal with. Also, cars traded back into Tesla are probably not being all put up for sale keeping the used car market stable.

I do plan on doing uber premium/turo'ing the car to cover extra costs because I like driving and I have other cars - only way I can justify this purchase is by using it to get some money back somehow, or else I would just buy an older bmw 335 x drive or something. For me, I personally plan on using it for road trips or driving around when I'm not working. The car I'm trading in is an s2k (maybe I should hang on to that? but the trade-in is amazing on it)

Finally, I was told that Tesla isn't selling their demo models anymore at the local dealer, but that's not true apparently since I just read some threads where people were being offered demo models. Can anyone clarify? If I can pickup a demo model that would make this easier!

This is quite the word salad, but just some of my rambling thoughts that I'm sure I am not the only one that has had them. Thanks for any help! Hoping to clear my head out some.

First, never come to an internet forum for financial advice

Second, if it truly is that much of a stretch financially, I wouldn’t recommend it yet. Better deals are coming in the future, plus a much larger used car selection.

Third, selling your cars private party vs. trading into tesla will make you much more money. Tesla lowball offers are notoriously low. At a minimum, go to carmax to get a quote for your trade. Otherwise, sell them on Autotrader. I sell my cars for thousands more than any dealer offers. Especially for your Honda S2K

Reactions: luke68bird
It is a fantastic car (the best car, IMO) and 240 miles is really enough range, but if the finances are a question, skip it. Wait for a used model where the instant 30% depreciation has already hit.

First, never come to an internet forum for financial advice

Second, if it truly is that much of a stretch financially, I wouldn’t recommend it yet. Better deals are coming in the future, plus a much larger used car selection.

Third, selling your cars private party vs. trading into tesla will make you much more money. Tesla lowball offers are notoriously low. At a minimum, go to carmax to get a quote for your trade. Otherwise, sell them on Autotrader. I sell my cars for thousands more than any dealer offers. Especially for your Honda S2K

I mean the SR+ is perfect for my financial situation but I feel like I'd regret it later. Actually the offer for the trade-in on my s2k was what I paid for it private party haha, plus I get the tax credit (not paying taxes on trade value) for it. So I'm winning out big time.

It is a fantastic car (the best car, IMO) and 240 miles is really enough range, but if the finances are a question, skip it. Wait for a used model where the instant 30% depreciation has already hit.
All the used models seem to be selling at or above current MSRP's. Like used LR AWD's I'm finding are 47-51k? Crazy!

Autotrader - page unavailable

2013 Model S 60 kW

190 miles full charge with 174,000 miles. EPA is 208 miles. So 18 mile degradation over 6 years

A Model 3 SR+ with 240 miles and the latest battery tech from Tesla will hold up quite well

Also don't see how rear heated seats are a loss when you are in the driver seat...

That's not bad at all, and the heated seats were an example. Tbqh, I don't care too much about the speakers/rear heated seats or performance. Just want some range. LR RWD would have been perfect but that was taken off the menu.

Don't stretch yourself financially for a car. And if you're trying to be effective with your money like it seems you are never trade in always sell privately and take the markup yourself instead of handing it to someone else

Tesla will bring back the LR RWD model eventually. There are a lot of people who want that car and don’t need AWD. If you are not in a hurry just wait until they start building them again and keep your eyes out for a good deal on a used one.
Yeah I think maybe after they do the Model Y or when they figure out the Model Y line they can do more customization for the M3.

Don't stretch yourself. Payoff both cars then get a Tesla. There are other great EVs that you may look at as well.
The performance isn't worth it for most people. The standard blows other cars off the road.
The SR will cross the country.

Those who say get the biggest range still have range anxiety.

Don't stretch yourself. Payoff both cars then get a Tesla. There are other great EVs that you may look at as well.
The performance isn't worth it for most people. The standard blows other cars off the road.

I agree with ewoodrick. I just got my LRWD this past weekend and I'm still trying to get accustomed to the range.

Tesla's trade offers aren't lowball, they're wholesale bids; except on Tesla trades where they are definitely lowball. That said, you are correct that you will almost always get more money selling privately if you're willing to devote the time.

Wholesale trade offers do vary though, so if you're going that route, try Carmax/Carvana/etc as well.

That all being said, honestly it is kind of a stretch for me to do 45-50k anyways. I'm not allowed to trade in two cars. My two car payments add up to $600/mo which is comfortable for me. Adding on a $600/mo payment on top of a $200/mo payment is a little much, but I was told that Tesla only accepts 1 car to trade-in now.

You could always trade the best offer into Tesla and sell the 2nd car to Carmax. That said, never stretch your finances to buy more car than you need.

What did they offer for your S2000?
16,500 - I was honestly shocked since they offered 6k for my FD. I might be able to sell the s2k for 18k, but then there's a lot of time/hassle that I don't have to deal with. With tax credits it's worthy 17655 essentially since I won't pay 1155 worth of taxes. Good deal to me!

Tesla will bring back the LR RWD model eventually. There are a lot of people who want that car and don’t need AWD. If you are not in a hurry just wait until they start building them again and keep your eyes out for a good deal on a used one.
I'm not in a hurry other than saving the 1750 federal plus 1500 local for EV. Heard black paint will have a $750 increase soon, and they'll probably start raising MSRP's here at some point (maybe?)

I mean, I really don't need the long range battery myself. Every trip I normally take it adds like 15-30 minutes extra - which I like to stretch a lot on road trips anyways. I just worry for resale that the SR+ will plummet harder with everyone else thinking of range anxiety. A used mid range is also a solid looking deal, but with the $3000 off from credits the SR+ may be the better buy.

Only reason I've looked at that stealth performance is because it's almost like a limited edition car (perhaps elon wants people to think that to fomo in and then he'll release the software update for LR awd later or something), but in terms of value holding I think it would hold better than any other model. I do look at cars based on depreciation. I've only ever lost a $3000-$4000 over all the cars I've owned due to depreciation.