Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help me out folks - left my cable at home - 50miles typical range left/45 mile trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either the displayed wh/miles is wrong; or the displayed range is wrong.
It would be easy to think the wh/mile is wrong but 278wh/mi is very plausible for the speeds used for the trip, temps etc.
I've certainly not seen any sort of discrepancy of the magnitude you're reporting @thegruf - and your calculations all look spot on.
The predicted range on my S70 is out by about 7% (see above), but it's been that way ever since I got it (the Trip prediction using the Nav is spot on though). Your 42 mile trip used about 12.3 kWh according to the trip averages, but the drop in range indicates 16-17 kWh used, a difference of over 30%.
I know very empty batteries can lose relatively large amounts of charge quite quickly as the cool down - but your car was still warm. Pre-heating can also use a bit of power but you deliberately tried to stop the car using any power before your trip. 4-5 kWh is a lot of energy to go missing!
Definitely worth keeping a log of a few more trips to see if there is a consistent pattern to this.