Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed on buying used 2019 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a current tesla owner of model Y and wanted to buy a model S (2019) used from a 3rd party dealership.
I called Tesla 888 number to enquire specific questions and they said they won't give out any info coz i'm not the current owner. They asked me to talk to service who said the same thing. How to go about this? The dealership selling this doesn't have a clue on what's on it or not

if someone can provide me this info, i'll be glad to PM the vin #
TIA

What do you mean by “what’s on it”?

Most of what you might be looking for can be established from the “additional information” screen in the software menu. If you’re looking for eg EAP or FSD, the best course of action for a third party dealership purchase is to assume that it doesn’t have it. Because in all likelihood even if it does now, it won’t transfer.

If you were purchasing the car from Tesla, they would remove EAP or FSD prior to putting the car on the market.
But with a non-Tesla seller, I don't think that would occur. Tesla has removed EAP/FSD on a small number of cars
that were sold by non-Tesla dealers, but that was because those features were somehow never paid for in the
first place.

I'm in TX and car is in west coast. Have asked the dealer to send me pic of the auto pilot screen to see if it has FSD or not.
I'm fine with pay as you go SC & premium connectivity.
Car being a 2019 and it shows as long range (does it automatically imply that this is a raven?)
Does this have the smart suspension? & MCU2 & latest AP-HW?
I thought once FSD purchased and paid by previous owner then it stays on the car irrespective if it moves to 2nd owner or not? Isn't this the case?

(1) I'm going to guess it won't have AP/EAP or FSD. So expect to pay for those once you have the Tesla visible in your Tesla App, regardless of what it says currently on the screen under the Software tab
(2) Depending on when in 2019, it may or may not be Raven. If the rear badge says "Long Range" then it should be a Raven. If it says 100D, then I'm guessing it's pre raven. The Software Screen should also say Long Range or 100D.
(3) Smart Suspension came with the Raven, I believe. Air Suspension on non-ravens.
(4) MCU/2 it should have, however the Software Screen and the screens within that (type on the blue hyperlinks) will confirm MCU/1 or 2. Same for AP Hardware (aka. FSD Computer).

Reactions: shrini23
Car being a 2019 and it shows as long range (does it automatically imply that this is a raven?)
You should be able to confirm from the "More information" screen if it is a Raven. Key is what it shows for the motor configuration. If it shows both front and rear motor with a designation that references induction, then it is a pre-Raven version. If the rear motor is listed as a large induction motor, then I believe that would tell you this is actually a P, or performance version.

If it is a Raven I believe the front motor should show a notation indicating it being a permanent magnet type motor. I am not sure how the exact reference shows, whether is might list a shorthand code like PMSR (permanent magnet synchronous reluctance). You might see what how the motors are listed on your Model Y. If it is a dual motor the rear motor on the Y is a PMSR variation where the Raven S/X have that motor in the front.

Just have the dealer take a pic of the ‘software’ tab on the mcu, it will show model and if it has EAP or FSD. The badge on the trunk will say Dual Motor if it’s a Long Range, but then again Tesla uses the same nomenclature for the Standard Range model.