Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed planning route! (Rural Manitoba)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had trouble with a TT-30 a few weeks ago -- dunno what the issue was, maybe that it didn't have the right ground or something. It worked fine for my travel trailer, but not for the car for whatever reason ("check charging equipment"). So be careful about RELYING on this until you've demonstrated its capability.
Note that the TT-30 to 13-50 adaptors are wired for RV use and will not work with Teslas. That's because the TT-30 is a 120V connector and connects the TT-30 hot and neutral to one hot and the neutral of the 14-50. The Tesla, however, does not connect to the neutral at all.

So the Tesla TT-30 to 14-50 charging adaptor must connect the TT-30 hot to one 14-50 hot, and the TT-30 neutral to the other 14-50 hot pin. And such a Tesla charging adaptor must NEVER be used for any other purpose than charging Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I figured I'd update this post in case anyone was wondering what I ended up doing.

I decided to go for it and used my car instead of borrowing an ICE from a family member.

We left Winnipeg and stopped at the Portage La Prairie supercharger for roughly 40mins to get to 100%. The on-board computer said that I would have enough juice to get to my destination from there, but it was cutting it close. So I decided to take the (barely) longer route and stop in Riding Mountain National Park to use their L2 Wall Connector. I arrived at the park with roughly 35% and we stopped and had a picnic near the beach and walked around a little bit (total about 1 hr) and left the park with around 50%. The last stretch of the drive was fine, and I reached my destination at 12% SoC. I plugged into a normal 120v outlet (12amp continuous as it was a dedicated breaker) at 12% on Friday around 5pm and by Sunday morning it had reached 100%. So we left her grandma's at 100% and took the same route and breaks on the way back.

In the end, I'm glad I took my car over borrowing an ICE. Even though charging stops added somewhere between 1.5-2hrs to our commute (one way), it didn't feel like an inconvenience. At the supercharger we went into the nearby grocery store and picked up some snacks for our drive and then watched an episode of Schitts Creek on Netflix. The L2 connector is in a beautiful National Park and we were able to enjoy a picnic and do a little walk around the park to stretch our legs.

Autopilot performed amazing on the split lane highway, but there are a couple stretches where the speed limit was mislabelled and I had to turn off auto-steer. (apparently this is solved in the new update, but I haven't received it yet). This is the first 4+ hour drive that I've done in the car and what they say about the positive impact on mental fatigue vs normal driving is incredible, especially combined with the forced charging breaks every few hours. I really didn't feel like I had just drove all day.

Just thought I've give an update. Thank you everyone for your help!