Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slap in the face by Tesla - Trade-in value £20k less than I paid Tesla just 18 months ago.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
£6167 of what you paid is VAT that goes to the government. You need to work out depreciation on the price without the VAT. So it's £14k.

When they sell the car, the buyer will need to pay VAT on top of their price (but the price will be displayed to them as the total including VAT).

Also - for comparison - if you'd got the car on a monthly finance deal then what would the payments have totaled over those 18 months

The combination of higher interest rates and rapid depreciation is going to make Tesla/EV leases a lot more expensive. (Oh and the insurance). At least other brands have different models and specs that differ, spreading the risk a hit wider.

Many EVs drop in value like a rock (luxury cars compound this effect), but in 2022 it was a sellers' market, so of course they charged an arm and a leg. Now that things have settled it unfortunately makes sense that it is worth so little.
Just like insurance is up for ALL cars, the value is down at the moment for all cars. Its a great time to buy used to be fair hence I loaned my children a few quid and had my daughter upgrade from a 2014 60ah bmw i3 to a 2021 38kw ioniq and my son from a 2015 24kw leaf to a 2020 38kw ioniq.

My daughters I3 was written off and is back on the road and my sons leaf sits here struggling to sell with no views at under 7K just over 2 years after £8900 purchase and that was the cheapest tekna around.

I would rather keep the leaf as a spare then selling it off on the cheap as its a very nice example but with the MOT now run out and needing insurance to take it for for the next mot, comparison sites are quoting more for insurance that than what I paid last March for the long range model Y.

All costs including interest rates being high, I do fear for some people out there that cant neither buy used outright or struggle with finance on used and new.

Recession is tightening in imho and some will survive and others won't.

£6167 of what you paid is VAT that goes to the government. You need to work out depreciation on the price without the VAT. So it's £14k.

When they sell the car, the buyer will need to pay VAT on top of their price (but the price will be displayed to them as the total including VAT).

Also - for comparison - if you'd got the car on a monthly finance deal then what would the payments have totaled over those 18 months
VAT has nothing to do with it - VAT is a fee to put the car on the road in the first place, just like the cost to actually make the car. Another way to look at it, if VAT was 0%, would you expect a used car be priced much closer to a new car, or if VAT was 100% would a used cars be less than half the price of the new car?