Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! One of my windows...died?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm scheduled to trade in my Model S on Thursday (need a smaller car so getting a 3) so this is a really bad time to have a significant mechanical failure....

I rolled down my back-driver's side window just a few minutes ago for a second. Hit the button to roll it back up and it makes a sound like its moving, but I look back and it's still rolled down. I hit the button again (both up and down) and it makes a few ugly kind of grinding/crunching noises each way but still doesn't move.

At this point I'm driving and can't do anything else so I just roll with it until I get home. I park and go to inspect the window and it's just...floating freely inside the door. It's as if it's not attached to anything at all. I can push it all the way down, or pull it up. The window buttons do nothing at this point and no sound (grinding or otherwise) come from the door.

I had to close the door and slide the window up into the gap to close it.

I have extended warranty but there's no way I can get an appointment before Thursday. Is there a common fix to this? Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are hearing a noise I doubt it is software, but no harm in trying. I just had my failed window regulator replaced this morning. It took Tesla about a week to get the part, and they rigged my window up temporarily in the meantime. Are you trading it in to Tesla? Maybe they won’t care if it is just a matter of getting it fixed since you have a warranty still. I suppose that could potentially go for third party as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Shadnic
If you are hearing a noise I doubt it is software, but no harm in trying. I just had my failed window regulator replaced this morning. It took Tesla about a week to get the part, and they rigged my window up temporarily in the meantime. Are you trading it in to Tesla? Maybe they won’t care if it is just a matter of getting it fixed since you have a warranty still. I suppose that could potentially go for third party as well.

Unfortunately not trading into Tesla :( Tried a soft reboot and while it made the noises start again, and you can hear the mechanism moving, it's not catching the window and the sounds are ugly as ever (almost like its rolling over broken glass, though that makes no sense since the window is perfectly intact).

I got a Tesla mobile service appointment for Thursday at the same time I'm supposed to trade my car in. I'm going to have to try to just push everything back and hope for the best unless I just lie and tell em everything works great and just hope they don't mess with the window.

Sounds exactly like a window regulator failure. Oddly enough, an extremely common failure on BMWs. Got pretty good at the change out. Was hoping to never touch another one. Hope this isn’t the beginning of a trend...

Reactions: Shadnic