Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help plea - Anyone around Ayrshire with a type 2 home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my Rolec swapped out as I was having issues with the 1st unit not charging properly and cutting out/dropping to 16A, the stopping all together.

New unit (Rolec) - same issues happening.

Electrician is stumped as everything is fine, earth readings are very low and under tolerance etc.

So trying to narrow down the issues.

• Charging on rapid CCS chargers (one Insta volt and one public chargeplace scotland) - Zero issues, full speed no interruptions
  • Public chargeplace scotland Type 2 cables - they start a full speed but then I get a warning saying charging speed reduced. It continues to charge uninterrupted but slower than standard speeds
  • Home 3 pin 13A Telsa charger - charges for about 20/25 minutes at a time - then suddenly stops, I need to then restart via app, same thing - rinse and repeat. So I can't leave it overnight charging as it stops after 20 minutes or so.
  • Rolec - both units (one tethered, one untethered) start charging up to 32A, then stop and drop to 0A, then go up to 16A or so, but again after 5/10 minutes stop charging
Looking to see if anyone has a home charger that I could try for 5/10 minutes to see if I get the same issues as I'm currently having...Just trying to eliminate the various potential issues.

I have booked a provisional service appointment in Edinburgh but first appointment isn't till the 29th October....

Electrician has tried everything we can think of and can only come up with the fact the issues maybe lie with the car being very sensitive to voltage fluctuations on type 2 charging.

Just had my Rolec swapped out as I was having issues with the 1st unit not charging properly and cutting out/dropping to 16A, the stopping all together.

New unit (Rolec) - same issues happening.

Electrician is stumped as everything is fine, earth readings are very low and under tolerance etc.

So trying to narrow down the issues.

• Charging on rapid CCS chargers (one Insta volt and one public chargeplace scotland) - Zero issues, full speed no interruptions
  • Public chargeplace scotland Type 2 cables - they start a full speed but then I get a warning saying charging speed reduced. It continues to charge uninterrupted but slower than standard speeds
  • Home 3 pin 13A Telsa charger - charges for about 20/25 minutes at a time - then suddenly stops, I need to then restart via app, same thing - rinse and repeat. So I can't leave it overnight charging as it stops after 20 minutes or so.
  • Rolec - both units (one tethered, one untethered) start charging up to 32A, then stop and drop to 0A, then go up to 16A or so, but again after 5/10 minutes stop charging
Looking to see if anyone has a home charger that I could try for 5/10 minutes to see if I get the same issues as I'm currently having...Just trying to eliminate the various potential issues.

I have booked a provisional service appointment in Edinburgh but first appointment isn't till the 29th October....

Electrician has tried everything we can think of and can only come up with the fact the issues maybe lie with the car being very sensitive to voltage fluctuations on type 2 charging.

If you haven't tried already, it might be worth having a look on PlugShare - few people allow user of their home charges (from memory think it's ones with a blue symbol and a pic of a house).

Reactions: booyaka76