TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HELP REQUESTED - Removal of driver side instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by leepere, Jun 23, 2018.

1. leepere

leepere Member

Hey guys -

First post here. But did search for an answer for some time on the forums so I hope this hasn't been asked before.

My driver side instrument cluster has the dreaded bubbles surrounding the display and I was hoping it was something I could do on my own as I am out of warranty. The screens are on Ebay for 250 and I was quoted 1400 for a new one installed at the Tesla service center which seems insane.

So I turn to you guys for help - does anyone have a video or guide to remove the old instrument cluster on the driver side and install a new screen? I would legit pay for someone to upload how a to video to your paypal, I'm a novice and don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks!

2. .jg.

.jg. Member

There is a thread here, discussing a Model S service manual. The service manual is available from a Google Drive link in this thread. If you unpack the file, you can use a web browser to view the files. This includes instructions (with pictures) on how to remove and replace the instrument cluster.

• Informative x 1
  3. leepere

leepere Member

You have quite literally saved the day. Thank you so much man

4. leepere

leepere Member

Is there an easy way to search through these to find the instrument cluster .jg.? or just keep going through until you do?

5. .jg.

.jg. Member

If you load the html file at the top of the directory tree (named "Servica_manual"), it loads an index of service tasks and under "14 INSTRUMENT PANELS AND PEDALS", you should find "Assembly - Frame - Instrument Cluster (Remove and Replace)".

• Informative x 1
  6. leepere

leepere Member

Thank you for the help .jg.

It appears you need to wait for an update to do the install or pay tesla to manually update it for you?