Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubbling instrument cluster - need to replace glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSC quoted me $2,250 because I don't have AP. What I read on this forum is that's it's not a whole lot of work for option 2. From what I've ready, I may need a battery replacement and a motor replacement in the next few years. So for now, I'm going to hold off on the MCU2 upgrade.
It's $1750 for your non-AP car: Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support

1693658575657.png

Personally, I highly recommend it!! I would say that even though the car does use a tiny bit more power after the MCU2 upgrade but this is because the car doesn't sleep properly anymore. Very odd sleep pattern after MCU2 and Model S 2017 75D wont sleep properly 1hr sleep, 15min awake repeat...

I would estimate that 95% of what you look at when you are in the car other than the road is the IC or the Infotaintment screen so why not upgrade to give yourself a better Tesla experience?

Reactions: jgatl and ucmndd
Unfortunately had to go with option 1, since my eBay seller sent me the wrong LCD. Here are some additional tips:
  • Goo Gone Pro is nearly useless. Use 99% alcohol - it works the best
  • Use Nitrile gloves from beginning to end, including removing the LCD - the glue does not stick as well to the gloves as it does to your skin
  • Remove the PCB from the metal casing. This will make your glue removal on the metal casing a lot easier
  • Use a window scraper - this really helps remove the massive amount of glue on the LCD and glass
  • Use a heat gun to warm up the glass as you prepare to separate the glass from the LCD. I set mine to 300 degrees and ensured the face was warm to the touch (not hot)
  • Use a fishing line to separate the glass from the LCD, pulling the line back and forth as you work it down the glass face. I did this 2x (once the entire length as I wedged putty knives (see below) between the glass and LCD, and a second time to fully separate the glass and LCD
  • Have a few putty knives or wedges available to insert between the glass and the LCD as the fishing line separates them. I only separated the glass from the LCD by 1/16" before removing it
  • Separate the glass along the long side (pulling it off vertically) - I felt this would reduce the risk of cracking the glass face
  • Use the window scraper to clean the glass first. Alternate between soaking the glass in alcohol and scraping the glue from the face.
  • Wipe the glue off the scraper with a paper towel - I made at least 20 passes before getting the glass and LCD clean
  • Be careful when you use the window scraper on the LCD. Apply light pressure as you come across the glue and alcohol mix. I put a minor scratch in mine.
IMG_1898.jpg