Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help required! 2020Model S dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Used the car yesterday, no problem. This morning the main screen is dead, pressing brake pedal does not bring up the PIN screen. Twice tried double button reset with no effect. The door handles and trunk operate via phone normally The car is plugged in but the drive battery is probably around the charge limit setting so no charging is going on. Looks like the main computer/screen is dead?

I’ve had this once. What worked for me.
Pulled the fireman’s loop, leave for 10 min(this allows time to discharge any caps), disconnect 12v battery, leave for 5 min.

Then ensure that the 12v batter is above 12.65. Below this the MCU does not turn on.
Reconnect 12v, reinsert fireman’s loop. Open door and pray to your choice of gods.

I’ve had this once. What worked for me.
Pulled the fireman’s loop, leave for 10 min(this allows time to discharge any caps), disconnect 12v battery, leave for 5 min.

Then ensure that the 12v batter is above 12.65. Below this the MCU does not turn on.
Reconnect 12v, reinsert fireman’s loop. Open door and pray to your choice of gods.
I.d certainly be trying this before towing.
Remember to leave some doors/windows/froot open so you do not get locked out.

Thanks for the replies: Before playing with the main contactor and the 12v connection - since the bits like the handles and boot worked fine I thought I'd try roadside assist - which I hate both because I rarely use my mobile - only one bar here - and find the "keys" far too small to type with. So I put in a service request and would you believe it got an appointment in Chatswood for a couple of days time. Not ideal, as I couldn't drive the car! but it started a conversation which eventually made them diagnose and do something to the software and after re-installing last week's update all became good. Phew - I'm 240Km from Chatswood so a visit would be quite a logistics exercise. I have to take 'er upstairs for a medical scan on Wednesday - one or other of us have these sort of appointments every few days so transport here in the boondocks it's serious stuff! Fingers crossed....

Thanks for the replies: Before playing with the main contactor and the 12v connection - since the bits like the handles and boot worked fine I thought I'd try roadside assist - which I hate both because I rarely use my mobile - only one bar here - and find the "keys" far too small to type with. So I put in a service request and would you believe it got an appointment in Chatswood for a couple of days time. Not ideal, as I couldn't drive the car! but it started a conversation which eventually made them diagnose and do something to the software and after re-installing last week's update all became good. Phew - I'm 240Km from Chatswood so a visit would be quite a logistics exercise. I have to take 'er upstairs for a medical scan on Wednesday - one or other of us have these sort of appointments every few days so transport here in the boondocks it's serious stuff! Fingers crossed....
Re your mobile phone coverage. A number of 2nd tier service providers have been given access to “Wi-Fi calling”. I am with Amaysim (Optus network) and could never get WiFi calling to work until quite recently.
If you have an iPhone check that you have Wi-Fi calling enabled under Settings - Mobile - WiFi Calling - Wi-FiCalling on This iPhone.
That way you will have reliable mobile service when you’re at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman