Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with buying from a Dealer with no warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having similar issue with UK used, dealers are inflating prices IMHO but of course no warranty, Tesla CPO here naturally have that. Not sure why a dealer would buy (unless it is sale or return) a Tesla from anyone as they can't pass on that warranty and the price are in some cases way above Tesla own CPO versions of similar build/spec cars.
So glad I found this today just to help me make my mind also, cheers :)

Reactions: davidc18
i bought from a private sale... avoided 7K in sales tax and got a great deal... However I had him (as only the original owner can) buy the extended service agreement... so I got a smokin deal and 6 more years of warranty...on a pristine P85+. If it wasnt for the sales tax advantage in Nevada I would have gotten a CPO car in a second... if for no other reason then that Tesla does a bumper to bumper assessment of the car...

Congrats on making the right decision

Found mine on Auto Trader.. you can filter for private sales only....the only issue i had with private sales is that some sellers are a bit delusional on what their car is worth, others have a more realistic grasp... What i did ahead of time is secure a loan from the credit union and asked them specifically what steps i would need to take to purchase a private sale vehicle out of state... was super easy though Alliant Credit Union which does a lot of Teslas...

a CPO car is a safer move because you know Tesla goes through the car and changes out anything that is even remotely questionable.. However like I said Nevada is one state where private sale vehicles are not subject to the 9% sales tax (there are a few other states that do the same) and this saved me about 6.5k over a CPO car just in tax...

The previous owner had the car professionally detailed every week.. New tires, etc... could not have asked for anything better... I drove to LA in a rental car, test drove the car, went over to the bank, handed him a check and Drove back to LV in a total of about 4 hours.... 3.5 of those hours were due to LA traffic...and like i said it took him 5 minutes to buy the extended warranty online through the Tesla website.

One other thing to note... if i bought a 2014 CPO car i would get 4 years of warranty... since i bought private I actually got 6 years... the 2 originally left on the car and 4 additional so in this case I got even more coverage than a CPO... If I am not mistaken i do not believe you can get an ESA on a CPO car... but i might be wrong

One other thing i found during my search is that there are a lot of owners who are driving their cars fo about 9-12 months and trying to flip them for about 7-10K less than sticker... seems ok but when you add in tax credits that they get, they are essentially driving the car for free and then getting a new one and a new tax credit... beware that although the sticker may say 100K they really may have only paid 90K after state and federal tax credits...

Good luck with you search...

Found mine on Auto Trader.. you can filter for private sales only....the only issue i had with private sales is that some sellers are a bit delusional on what their car is worth, others have a more realistic grasp...

Good luck with you search...

This is the issue I am having here also, the private sales and the non-Tesla ICE dealers who have them are inflating the asking prices by a large margin making them unbuyable, unless you are so new to the Tesla brand you just go for it on site seen.

Markk993, thanks for the info. I've been searching Auto Trader as well as Cars.com and Carguru.com. This site is so much better and I've learned a lot just from the posts here. I'm open to going anywhere in the country for the "right deal". Agreed that there are many, ICE dealers included, that are delusional in their asking price. Loss of tax credit, typical depreciation, and now AP 2.0, all reduce pre-owned values in my opinion. There's one 2015 85D for sale, that I know of, near me and the dealer wants $89k which appears to be about $10k above market price. They're not even interested in negotiating so it will sit as it has since April.

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and got opportunity to buy 2014 Model S 85 / 20k miles / No warranty / $46,500. I would like to know if extended warranty is required if i buy this vehicle or not and what about pre-pay maintenance plan purchase? So far vehicle is clean and not had any major issue other than "charge port open" error. serviced 2 times in 4 yr.

I am confused whether i should go for it or not. Please help friends.

In my opinion if it is passed the 4 year mark and not eligible for the extended warranty i personally would walk away... these cars can be very costly t repair and I would not want to own mine if there was no warranty... one door handle can be $800 + if the MCU goes out you are looking at a couple thousand... it is a low mileage car and even though it has a light service history does not mean that something costly could be around the corner...

Get the in-service date to see if it is warranty eligible (assuming it is a private party sale) but for me i would spend a few extra K and get something that had a warranty or was warranty eligible... saving money on the sale price may cost you more than you save down the line...

I could be wrong and the car can continue to be problem free but you have to weigh that risk.... Not for me

Thank you @Markk993 for your reply. Appreciate that. I can buy extended one but that will be $4500 plus $2200 for service plan. So looking for additional 7k. And budget is not to go over 50k. So not sure if this is wise decision if i buy this or go with ICE cars. Commute is 15 miles per day only so not sure, what you all suggest.

Thanks

Thank you @Markk993 for your reply. Appreciate that. I can buy extended one but that will be $4500 plus $2200 for service plan. So looking for additional 7k. And budget is not to go over 50k. So not sure if this is wise decision if i buy this or go with ICE cars. Commute is 15 miles per day only so not sure, what you all suggest.

Thanks

Are you sure you are able to buy the ESA now? At one point you could only buy the extended coverage while the factory warranty was still in effect or very shortly thereafter. I think that is still the case, but haven't look into it in a while.

assuming it has not gone through a 3rd party dealership i personally would opt for the warranty at 4500 and not get the service plan... services are about 750-1000 each so essentially you are spending money now that you would spend 1-2 years down the road...Unless you are trying to roll that cost into a low low interest note it does not make sense to me to pay for a specific service years in advance..

That is just my opinion of course but if the question is whether to get the ESA there is no question here it is a huge yes.... Like others have said though double and triple check to make sure that it is ESA eligible...

On the question about this car vs. ICE... Not sure what Alabama laws are but here in Nevada and in most states there are EV incentives both short and long term... For example I get my electricity at 4 cents per KW vs. 11 cents because I have an electric vehicle... you can also drive by people in the carpool lane even by yourself...Also there is definitely a savings (although minimal in your case with a 15 mile commute) in electric over gas.

there might even be more significant savings to capture if you use the car on occasional road trips... that car has free supercharging so you could potentially save a decent amount of money on these trips by using the supercharger network...OR if you have a supercharger by your house.... there is one here right next to one of my favorite restaurants..LOL

Also you need to shop your car insurance.... my experience is that there are huge premium differences between one insurance company to the next... after shopping around i found a company that is almost exactly the same as I was paying on my Cayenne but it took some work...

In short there might be more to consider in the entire financial picture than the car payment... my electric bill is about 60% of what it used to be.

Lastly a 2014 at that price is fairly well depreciated and it is low mileage... I don't think you are going to lose all that much in depreciation comparatively especially if you are considering a new or newer ICE vehicle...

Hope that is what you were looking for

Mark

more stuff...

there is a lot to buying a used Tesla... since you gave no insight into the car, options, etc... we cannot tell you if the 46K is a good number.... based on mileage alone it seems great but if it has minimal options it might not be the best deal you can get...

Also you need to consider things like tires... if the car has 19s you could get as much as 40-50K in mileage off a new set of tires... 21s and you are replacing tires in less than half that amount....tires on the 19s are reasonable but tires on a 21" rim can get pricey as a replacement item...

Also please check with the current owner and see what the range is at both 90% and 100% to try to get a sense of the condition of the battery... just because it is low mileage does not mean that the battery was well taken care of...

you now have lots of homework... LOL

assuming it has not gone through a 3rd party dealership i personally would opt for the warranty at 4500 and not get the service plan... services are about 750-1000 each so essentially you are spending money now that you would spend 1-2 years down the road...Unless you are trying to roll that cost into a low low interest note it does not make sense to me to pay for a specific service years in advance..

That is just my opinion of course but if the question is whether to get the ESA there is no question here it is a huge yes.... Like others have said though double and triple check to make sure that it is ESA eligible...

On the question about this car vs. ICE... Not sure what Alabama laws are but here in Nevada and in most states there are EV incentives both short and long term... For example I get my electricity at 4 cents per KW vs. 11 cents because I have an electric vehicle... you can also drive by people in the carpool lane even by yourself...Also there is definitely a savings (although minimal in your case with a 15 mile commute) in electric over gas.

there might even be more significant savings to capture if you use the car on occasional road trips... that car has free supercharging so you could potentially save a decent amount of money on these trips by using the supercharger network...OR if you have a supercharger by your house.... there is one here right next to one of my favorite restaurants..LOL

Also you need to shop your car insurance.... my experience is that there are huge premium differences between one insurance company to the next... after shopping around i found a company that is almost exactly the same as I was paying on my Cayenne but it took some work...

In short there might be more to consider in the entire financial picture than the car payment... my electric bill is about 60% of what it used to be.

Lastly a 2014 at that price is fairly well depreciated and it is low mileage... I don't think you are going to lose all that much in depreciation comparatively especially if you are considering a new or newer ICE vehicle...

Hope that is what you were looking for

Mark
Thank you @Markk993 for this valuable response. If i get it right , always get extended warranty if i am eligible to get. Regarding alabama laws, trust me its not helpful and good if u own an ev. My situation is no supercharger near, close one 60 mi. And closest service center is 220mi. So everyone says if u dont have infrastructure, lets pause on buying tesla. That being said, next year we r getting supercharger in my city tho.
Regarding vehicle detail - its model s 85, 19" wheel, red exterior, black interior, no air suspension, no AP, regular sound sys, 3g and no lte. Is it ok deal for 46,500?
Regarding insurance in alabama, they told me 400 per six months. Not sure good or bad. This is from liberty / ameriprise.
Regarding power consumption, not sure if i can get any incentive or not but currently its 13 cents or so.
Regarding battery condition, he was using locally in chicago but mostly every friday to work ( thats why 20k mi in 4 yrs). He said no issues charging wise, or holding charge.
Compare to bmw x3 which inhave next to this in mind if i dont go for this, this has less safety features i found but may be i am wring but no blind spot monitor, lane keep assist, forward collision warning etc. Is it normal in model s to not have all these?
He said, all software updates are there in vehicle too.
Regarding my commute, its not that bad 5 min each way so max 10 mi amd if we go out in evening then another 10 or so. So this will be local car for us as we have family suv for long trip. With 2yr old, more room is useful
So here is a picture, any help or guidance will help me to make decision.

Thanks again all.

Are you sure you are able to buy the ESA now? At one point you could only buy the extended coverage while the factory warranty was still in effect or very shortly thereafter. I think that is still the case, but haven't look into it in a while.
Worse case if i can't buy ESA, then i can ask seller to buy since its expiring next month and i pay him in price?

Reactions: Olds442
OMG... for every question there is another question

value seems ok but if you can get the list of options that would be helpful... you did not mention pano roof, are the black seats leather or textile, does it have the premium upgrade package which gives you some lighting differences, power lift gate, and some other goodies but I am not an expert on that package....19s are a more comfy ride especially without air suspension and hopefully there is some significant tread left...also does this have a sub zero package (not that you need it) or the dual chargers) the lack of radio upgrade means you cannot put XM into your car if that matters to you unless you connect it through your phone,... like i said the original sticker or options list would be helpful..

No LTE is not a problem it is a $500 upgrade and not worth it at all... As I understand it Tesla regulates the data speed anyway so there is little gain in LTE over 3g

the only way to say if insurance is good or bad is to compare it to what you are currently paying or would be paying on the x3 it should be negligibly different

you can go on your power company website and see if they have EV rates

Also plan on around $700-$1200 to put a charger in your house depending on your situation and current power configuration.

What you need to learn on the battery is range at 90% and 100% the owner should be able to tell you that (and show you that easily) my 2014 P85+ has a range of 234 - 235 miles @90% and 265 at 100% which I think is really good.. those are the numbers you are looking for... if he tells you his 90% is 220 miles you have some battery degradation to consider..

the fact that the car has all software updates is just fluff... updates are automatic so that is not a selling point at all.

the other safety features like blind spot monitoring and so forth were not introduced in the Model S until AP1 came along so in this case the X3 has more advanced features.... 2014s have parking sensors and folding mirrors LOL

the car also has no spare tire and that is dealt with by roadside assistance but i have no idea how that works with a service center so far away.... although there are many owners in that same boat so they could tell you better than I could.

in terms of value it seems well priced compared to CPOs currently available... look in the marketplace section and see if there is a comparable car... people are not shy about assessing a car's value in that part of the forum...

Other people may know more about this than i do but i also think there is a way that he can bring the car to Tesla and get it evaluated for a fee of course but it might be money well spent and since it has a month or so left of factory warranty it might be a great time to have Tesla go over the car thoroughly....

Good Luck ... PS there was no picture attached....