Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Ceramic spray choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the ceramic spray solution to polishing my S. I have searched the internet regard the various formulations of different products. So many claims..not a lot of evidence based research. I have checked out Nexgen, which claims to have the highest concentration of SiO2 at 13%. This is not correct as Lithium Ceramic Slam has a SiO2 of 35%. The Last Coat is another product mentioned in advertisements. There are a myriad of products with various claims as to durability, extra polymers..etc.
Can anyone help me forage through this issue. Thanks.

With all of these "ceramic" monikers, its getting a lot like motor oils to ICE cars. LOTS of marketing hype but in reality? Almost ANY of them will get you nice rain beading and a nice shine/gloss. Even old school Nu Finish paste in a can, when applied according to directions work great.

In a blind test, I can almost guarantee most if not all, will have a hard time telling the difference between any two products applied side by side on a taped off hood...
I agree that there is a lot of snake oil in this space. That being said, I think the primary selling point of a ceramic application is it's longevity over more conventional products and not any superiority in visual appearance. When it comes to spray on "ceramic" products, some actually do hold up over a fairly long period of time (see the YT video I posted above), but a lot of other ones marketed as ceramic spray on products failed early and were even worse than your conventional products.

So there is value there, but you need to be well informed to know which subset of products are actually any good. If you randomly buy such a product on a whim, you are probably just wasting your money.

Upvote 0
I agree that there is a lot of snake oil in this space. That being said, I think the primary selling point of a ceramic application is it's longevity over more conventional products and not any superiority in visual appearance. When it comes to spray on "ceramic" products, some actually do hold up over a fairly long period of time (see the YT video I posted above), but a lot of other ones marketed as ceramic spray on products failed early and were even worse than your conventional products.

So there is value there, but you need to be well informed to know which subset of products are actually any good. If you randomly buy such a product on a whim, you are probably just wasting your money.
I agree and I get it. All depends on ones needs and preferences I guess. It reminds me of a debate I got into with a car buddy who uses his pressure washer and foam wand thing to create a total/complete thorough layer of suds on the vehicle. Meanwhile, I use the kind that just attaches straight to the garden hose and it gets me..maybe 1/2 as much total foam/suds as he gets, but still way more than I probably need to wash the car well. (keeping in mind that most microscratches occur when drying, not when washing).

And end result with both of us? Clean cars with no scratches. lol

Actual need vs marketing hype.

Upvote 0
Just want to say thanks for all the posted YouTube videos. I've enjoyed going down that rabbit hole...

I do want to update as well that I did claybar and followed it with using the 303 Graphene on the entire outside of the car. Been driving it for a 3 days (combination wet/dry roads lately) and the car still looks really clean (image attached). Someone commented that it doesn't go on smooth, and I find that is not the case. It is plenty smooth to the touch. Applying it is real easy - buffing it takes a little elbow grease. I will say that my old Turtle Wax "feels" a little softer than the graphene but here is hoping the graphene lasts a bit longer.

I'm not advocating for anything in particular here - I just happen to get the 303 on a friend's recommendation. I think I may be trying some of the other products presented in the Videos posted once my bottle of 303 runs out.

Attachments

• 20210517_154553.jpg
    20210517_154553.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: orion2001
Upvote 0
Have you tried ours? Our ceramic spray is developed in-house (LINK), lasting up to 6 months or more.

It uses the same nanotechnology used on the gel coating to make it permanently bond with our mirrors. It also rejuvenates the surface whether gloss or matte, making it looks new.

We did stress testing against a couple other popular brands in this video.

Upvote 0
I use Hybrid Solutions. Nothing compares to this spray. I used it on my old car. I used to clay the whole car and use only Hybrid Solutions. 2 coats (24 hours between each coat). Avoid water for 48 hours. My car sits in the elements of NYC year-long. After a year the water still beads beautifully. This was a 6-year-old car. Now on my Model Y i did the same. It is the ONLY product i have used so far that's easy to use and lasts a hell of a long time. Dont buy the hype of other brands try this ($15 for a bottle that lasted me 2 years did 4 cars).

Upvote 0
Have you tried ours? Our ceramic spray is developed in-house (LINK), lasting up to 6 months or more.

It uses the same nanotechnology used on the gel coating to make it permanently bond with our mirrors. It also rejuvenates the surface whether gloss or matte, making it looks new.

We did stress testing against a couple other popular brands in this video.

Would love to see your product stand up against Hybrid Solutions Ceramic.

Upvote 0