Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with keyfob battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone replaced their keyfob battery? I feel like an idiot since I can't figure out how to get the battery out of the holder. It seems the battery is held in by 3 fixed tabs that aren't movable.

IMG_20130816_154814.jpg

Help?

Does the battery sit on a spring? If so, maybe you push on the battery and then tilt it up and over the tab.

I don't think there's a spring. Just a tiny bit of play, maybe a millimeter or so, not enough for tilting the battery. There's also electronics behind there it seems so I don't want to push too hard either. I tried sticking my pinky nail in that hole in the top to try and push down but couldn't move the battery enough to escape the tab either. Surprised this isn't mentioned anywhere in the Tesla manuals.

Has anyone replaced their keyfob battery? I feel like an idiot since I can't figure out how to get the battery out of the holder. It seems the battery is held in by 3 fixed tabs that aren't movable.

Help?

Yes, I have. I left my key fob in the car when gone on a long trip, several weeks. The key fob battery was dead when I got back. Talk about a vampire load; the load on the key fob battery from the MS querying it repetitively is crazy!

Anyway, the tabs are very stiff, but if you push the tabs firmly, they will move.

Good Luck!

Put a small flat blade screw driver in the opening at the top of your picture and push the battery towards the little metal springs at the bottom of your photo. The battery will then pop up and out. To replace the battery, slide the battery against the metal clip and push down while pivoting back

Put a small flat blade screw driver in the opening at the top of your picture and push the battery towards the little metal springs at the bottom of your photo. The battery will then pop up and out. To replace the battery, slide the battery against the metal clip and push down while pivoting back

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I did try to push down, but obviously not hard enough with my pinky finger nail in that slot. I think my pinky is just a bit too big.