Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with noise - thought it was tires, now mechanical?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Our 2012 Model S has developed a noise that i thought was the tires, but now I think it is mechanical

At first, around 50mph a humming type noise developed that sounded like maybe bad tires. I put on some 21" pirellis and assumed they were just noidsy tires after break-in. However, the soound has gotten progressively louder and I could swear there is a slight vibration. I thought mayve an inner fender liner was blowing back against a front tire, but they all seem secure and I added a fastner to them.

My drive unit was rpelaced a couple thousand miles or so ago and it is the new type with a coolant bypass. I'm not saying that's it, but its relevant info.

Does anyone have a guess as to what this could be? I looked up wheel bearing noise, but it didn;t seem to be the same type of sound.

Thank you!

Hi there,

Our 2012 Model S has developed a noise that i thought was the tires, but now I think it is mechanical

At first, around 50mph a humming type noise developed that sounded like maybe bad tires. I put on some 21" pirellis and assumed they were just noidsy tires after break-in. However, the soound has gotten progressively louder and I could swear there is a slight vibration. I thought mayve an inner fender liner was blowing back against a front tire, but they all seem secure and I added a fastner to them.

My drive unit was rpelaced a couple thousand miles or so ago and it is the new type with a coolant bypass. I'm not saying that's it, but its relevant info.

Does anyone have a guess as to what this could be? I looked up wheel bearing noise, but it didn;t seem to be the same type of sound.

Thank you!
I also vote for a wheel bearing fault, especially if you are on the originals.

OK, here is a video of it. Weirdly, I thought the noise was comign from upfront, but with turning the camera around I'm thinking it comes from the rear?

Its the low hum / roar noise that starts around 40-50 mph. anyone recognize this?

My story is similar: thought the humming noise was from worn tires, replaced them & the noise persists. It’s loudest at higher speeds, worst when steering thru right highway turns. I’ve jacked up the rear end and checked those tires for any wobbling & found no side-to-side play (one side of worn out bearings).

I’ll try jacking up the front tires & checking them.