Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wheel bearings? noise? and aftermarket wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MY Performance, after tearing through three sets of tires in the first 60,000 miles and then learning that the Michelliin "tire mileage warranty" could not be honored as the tires could not be rotated because they were different sizes. I gave up and bought after market rims in Aug -2022. Now I have 86,000 miles on the car and 26,000 on the tires.

About 30 days ago the car became noticeably louder at 30-50mph. Over the past several weeks the noise is now nearly continuous up to 80mph. Slightly quieter on gradual right turns and louder going straight or gradual left turns? I just had the shop rotate and balance the tires and the sound was unchanged.

My local tire shop stated that the noise is a "dealership" issue...I have an appointment scheduled with Tesla in the next few weeks but that lead to my 2 questions-

Are the wheel bearings covered under the drivetrain warranty up to 120,000 miles?
Will the aftermarket wheels void the warranty?

Wheel bearings are part the bumper to bumper warranty (4/50k). It does sound like you have a right wheel bearing issue, since loading up the right side with a left turn causes the noise to grow louder.

Don't show up with aftermarket wheels or they will indeed try to place the blame on them. It's not worth the hassle, even if the wheels had nothing to do with the failure.

Wheel bearings are part the bumper to bumper warranty (4/50k). It does sound like you have a right wheel bearing issue, since loading up the right side with a left turn causes the noise to grow louder.

Don't show up with aftermarket wheels or they will indeed try to place the blame on them. It's not worth the hassle, even if the wheels had nothing to do with the failure.
Thanks, but if the bearings are indeeed are part of the 50,000 mile warranty it sounds like the replacement will be on my dime anyway? why even bother to change the wheels back in that case?

Thanks, but if the bearings are indeeed are part of the 50,000 mile warranty it sounds like the replacement will be on my dime anyway? why even bother to change the wheels back in that case?
True, probably nothing to lose then.
If you were blowing through tires there is also a chance your tires are wearing unevenling which is causing the noise. Hard to diagnose over the internet without photos or video.
They went through 3 sets in 60k, that's actually pretty normal for an MYP. My rear tires don't have much life left at 17,000mi right now and they are wearing nicely with no cupping/chopping of the tread.

Reactions: android04
Yes, wheel bearings are typically covered under Tesla's Drive Unit Warranty, which lasts for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, your car is a 2020 model with 86,000 miles, so it's outside the original warranty coverage for wheel bearings. Generally, using aftermarket wheels does not void the entire Tesla warranty. Tesla's policy states that using aftermarket parts will only void the warranty on the specific part or component that is replaced. In this case, the aftermarket wheels wouldn't affect the drivetrain warranty that covers wheel bearings.

Has anyone changed a wheel bearing themselves? I'm still under warranty but run aftermarket wheels. I've started to hear * some * noise but I think it is more from worn tires (winter set is shot). If I still hear it when I put my summers wheels on (that have new pilot sports), I take it in and if them complain, do it myself.