Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with options in cold climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off - thanks to all those who contribute and maintain this forum. Its been an enormous help to say the least. Plus its helped me on those nights where I couldn't sleep thinking about this car, and picked up my phone to read more while I ponder if I'll ever be able to get one.

After going back and forth for a whole month (even cancelling an order), I can't help but admit that some of the deals in the last week are absolutely worth it so taking the plunge and will be selecting an inventory car this evening :) - Will lose some more sleep now but for a whole different reason!

We live in a cold climate, Colorado, so I could really use some help & advise on the two options below:
  1. Pano Roof - What has your experience been in snowy/cold weather with pano roof? Worth it or not recommended in a place like CO? Interestingly all the inventory models in CO are without the glass pano roof so I became skeptical all of a sudden.
  2. Sub-zero - Again, all the inventory calls in CO don't have this so wondering if anyone wish they did (or if you do, do you love it?). I know the front seats are heated but no heated steering wheel or back seats (for my kido). I must say that I love my heated steering wheel on my BMW currently on those cold bitter days.
Thanks!

First off - thanks to all those who contribute and maintain this forum. Its been an enormous help to say the least. Plus its helped me on those nights where I couldn't sleep thinking about this car, and picked up my phone to read more while I ponder if I'll ever be able to get one.

After going back and forth for a whole month (even cancelling an order), I can't help but admit that some of the deals in the last week are absolutely worth it so taking the plunge and will be selecting an inventory car this evening :) - Will lose some more sleep now but for a whole different reason!

We live in a cold climate, Colorado, so I could really use some help & advise on the two options below:
  1. Pano Roof - What has your experience been in snowy/cold weather with pano roof? Worth it or not recommended in a place like CO? Interestingly all the inventory models in CO are without the glass pano roof so I became skeptical all of a sudden.
  2. Sub-zero - Again, all the inventory calls in CO don't have this so wondering if anyone wish they did (or if you do, do you love it?). I know the front seats are heated but no heated steering wheel or back seats (for my kido). I must say that I love my heated steering wheel on my BMW currently on those cold bitter days.
Thanks!
I'm also in Colorado with a kiddo in the back seat, and I gave a lot of thought to the same questions before placing my order for a S 75D with the pano roof and without the sub-zero package.
I've heard pretty good arguments on both sides of the pano debate. Militating against the pano is the added weight of the glass, the additional mechanical complexity (more to go wrong), and the climate factors you mentioned. But I'm pretty tall, and the pano roof felt like it gave me a bit more headroom in the Model S. Also, we live in Colorado(!), one of the best places on earth from opening up the sunroof and enjoying beautiful weather.
As far as the sub-zero package, I also have a heated steering wheel on my current car, and unlike you I really don't use it as much as I thought I would (so our priorities may differ here). Normally, I park the car in the garage overnight, so I don't think it will be too cold in the morning, and for those winter days in the mountains, I plan to preheat the entire car using the Tesla app. That all said, I was really looking for any way to trim costs when I finally pulled the trigger and took advantage of these end-of-the-quarter discounts, and who knows, I may report back to you after this winter that I really regret not getting the cold weather package. If money were no factor, I would have gone with the cold weather package.

Separately, please consider using my referral code for the extra $1,000 off: http://ts.la/jordan3466

Thanks MountainRoad for your feedback! I keep forgetting about the preheat ability using the app! Still trying to get my head around all the cool tech, and I totally agree about enjoying the beautiful scenery with pano here in CO :)
I have a very close friend looking to pull the trigger as well. If her code doesn't come through in time, I'll use yours.

I have the pano roof and live in Mass., about as cold as Colorado, but I would not say I could tell last winter if the pano roof made a particular difference. The car is definitely harder to heat than many others, but how much difference the pano makes is hard to say. (But Bjorn Nyland in Norway, who posts videos as "Tesla Bjorn," felt it made his car cold so he has a video showing how he insulated the glass.)
As for the cold weather package, I have that as well. I definitely enjoy the heated steering wheel, but the other features are so-so. I rarely have passengers in the back seat, so rear seat heaters don't help me much. We had very little snow here in Mass. last winter, so the heated wiper parking area on the windshield got little or not use, so I cannot say for certain if that was helpful. I have seen other comments both pro and con on that. I assume the heated washer nozzles are helpful and never have had any trouble with the washers in that regard.

I am in Colorado also. So many Colorado people!

I opted for the pano roof and for the cold weather package. The cold weather package was a must for me even though I park in a garage every night. But the heated steering wheel is something I had in my previous car and I love it. The pano roof was also nice since I love opening it on the many nice days here! I haven't had it over the winter yet, but don't really anticipate any issues and haven't had any issues in the past on cars with glass on the roof.

Check out this link: www.TeslaInventory.com . I am showing 2 cars in the "Rocky Mountain Region" (aka Colorado) that have the pano roof and are inventory. Both are 75D refreshed models. None of the cars in Colorado have the cold weather package. I do find that odd.

If you need any additional help finding a car, let me know or check out the website. You might be able to find a car in a different state that can just be shipped here. If its close enough, Tesla has been known to waive transport fees at the end of the quarter if it can be delivered in time.

Thanks Erik

Thanks everyone! As always, awesome advise.

Yeah I checked out the inventory site and found some good ones but sub-zero is hard to find. I am going to the showroom tonight. The OA is very nice and sounds like will work with me if I like one in a different state.

Thanks everyone! As always, awesome advise.

Yeah I checked out the inventory site and found some good ones but sub-zero is hard to find. I am going to the showroom tonight. The OA is very nice and sounds like will work with me if I like one in a different state.

Not sure who your OA is, but I have always dealt with Steven. He is VERY helpful.

Thanks Erik

Reactions: Chaz
So put in a deposit for a 75d - black with black next gen seats, pano, and subzero.

Great choice.

With kids in the back of mine, the sub-zero package has been one of the best options I got. I also think pano is probably better in colder climates than hot ones, since you need to use air when it's really hot, but in the spring/summer/fall in CO, which is much like the mountains in BC that I drive through a lot, I open the pano for fresh mountain air, and it's so much better than having the windows open. I use the "vent" sunroof position a lot.

I also worked with Steven. He was able to find a MS with everything I wanted and more. The car was headed to Vegas, but as of this morning, it will be delivered to Denver next week. It wasn't listed on the website, so it pays to as your OA.

Steven is the best! Certainly, if you can't find anything online, www.TeslaInventory.com is a good resource ;) , Contact an OA. Especially late in the quarter, even more so with this quarter, OA can look offline for cars and might be able to find you one.

Thanks Erik