Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with Sentry/Music SSD USB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a software error, not a hardware one. That drive is much, much, faster than needed for this use.

Also seems to be a pretty random one, as folks with all sorts of drives have run into it on recent SW versions.

Certainly it's possible switching to an SSD with make it go away for a while- just like switching to an ancient 16GB slow drive might too since again the HW isn't the actual cause of the problem. Hell switching to another of the exact same drive might "fix" it for a while. (I'm running that exact drive myself for the camera- have been for months- 0 issue so far)

I did open up a ticket with Tesla Service to inquire about "Recommended USB drives" or "Minimum Requirements" for a USB storage repository based off Tesla Software Versions, as I had the same error msg introduced after upgrading to 2019.24.4. Ticket was closed out and no clear resolution provided, other than "none could be provided at this time" Information on recommended USB drive speeds/type would be very helpful at this point with TeslaCam/Sentry Mode.

I did open up a ticket with Tesla Service to inquire about "Recommended USB drives" or "Minimum Requirements" for a USB storage repository based off Tesla Software Versions, as I had the same error msg introduced after upgrading to 2019.24.4. Ticket was closed out and no clear resolution provided, other than "none could be provided at this time" Information on recommended USB drive speeds/type would be very helpful at this point with TeslaCam/Sentry Mode.

Again, it's a software problem, not a HW problem.

Literally any new USB key, SD card, or SSD sold is way faster than needed for this task.

So there's no useful recommendation they could offer other than "Wait until we learn to write better software" which is probably not a message they're trained to give out.

I hooked up my inline USB V and A meter with my SSD and USB connector and saw a super tiny amount of current being used (0.09 A).

While writing and reading to the drive, the largest draw I could see was 0.25 Amps.

upload_2019-8-21_18-19-29.png

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
I've got a Samsung T5 SSD 500GB, and having trouble formatting it to FAT32 on Windows 10. Neither the Windows Format tool, nor a DOS-based format from the command line, will let me select it for FAT32; I've tried downloading a few different tools that claim to be able to do it, but none of them recognise the drive at all (even though Windows does).

Can anyone help please?