Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

First post here yet to order a M3 but doing the research on the supporting requirements like charging

I understand the Gen 2 UMC supplied with the M3 was limited to 16 amp regardless of the capability of the socket it’s plugged into is that not correct? The reason I ask is because I already have a32 amp commando socket in the back of my house near where I can park the car. This thread seems to imply I don’t really need to get a wall charger installed at all
Hey Leelo. The gen 2 UMC is the same on all cars now, the US manual is here showing the 32A max:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

If Tesla created a different version for UK it would be strange, and also would mean their UK parts division shouldn't be stocking 32A adapters, so I would say yes - you are all set, and if your socket was installed before the new regs (Jan 2019?) I believe you don't even need to consider Type B RCD (someone correct me if wrong).

It would appear Tesla previously suggested either type A or B is fine. Will see what my electrician comments tomorrow.

One thing to note, using the UMC can create a few challenges if you stay away from home often/travel a lot. As taking the UMC cable with you each time for a backup, could be annoying if it's dirty from constant home charging.

It also means you don't have a backup home charging option if the UMC fails or wears.

One more issue - I believe it unlocks itself in some circumstances, so there is a risk of it being stolen unless you create a way to secure it at the charging end (like a box or padlock).

These are compromises I can personally live with, and if it proves an issue I'll switch the commando for a WC later on.

Hi All

First post here yet to order a M3 but doing the research on the supporting requirements like charging

I understand the Gen 2 UMC supplied with the M3 was limited to 16 amp regardless of the capability of the socket it’s plugged into is that not correct? The reason I ask is because I already have a32 amp commando socket in the back of my house near where I can park the car. This thread seems to imply I don’t really need to get a wall charger installed at all
As I understand it the UMC is a portable charger not really suited for long term use.
Having said that my work collegue has been using his for a year to charge his 75D.
I would say its ok in the short term but plan for a fixed installation.
Cheers S.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Thanks all much appreciated. I couldn’t find a manual so thanks again. Not clear where I got the info on the 16amp limit but clearly wrong. I must admit the whole wall charger thing looks like a bit of a ripoff to me but I guess prices will fall as demand increases

Must admit I’m running out of spare breakers in my distribution unit so getting a wall charger might be a challenge anyway unless the sparky can fit a separate box of the main inlet which has a 100 amp fuse fitted anyway

Thanks all much appreciated. I couldn’t find a manual so thanks again. Not clear where I got the info on the 16amp limit but clearly wrong. I must admit the whole wall charger thing looks like a bit of a ripoff to me but I guess prices will fall as demand increases

Must admit I’m running out of spare breakers in my distribution unit so getting a wall charger might be a challenge anyway unless the sparky can fit a separate box of the main inlet which has a 100 amp fuse fitted anyway
No problem, hopefully we can all figure this out together, electrics is not my area of expertise :)

I saw the same thing about the gen 2 being 16A, not sure where it came from except maybe because Tesla stopped supplying 32A adapters, where as the gen 1 had both I believe!

Wow, I also thought that the gen 2 UMC was limited to 16amp, not just by its connector but its inherent capacity. If it is really capable of 32amp then it really does look feasible for some (many?) people to save a load of money! Everybody talks of "wall chargers" but all the box is doing is funnelling the electricity to the car ... the charger itself resides within the vehicle. The only time you are using an external "charger" is when you use a DC rapid charger such a Supercharger.

I have a 32A socket at home too, so before buying my car I enquired about 32A adapters, was told my UMC would be 32A capable, and ordered an adapter to collect with the car.

However I didn't unpack it and now I come to use it I see it's for a different connection type (the black proprietary one is different, perhaps for the previous in-line S/X UMC). So I need to exchange it for the one you have. And confirm I have the right UMC, in case that's the issue - my car is Model S.

20190822_083029.jpg

You need a 3 phase supply's for 32 amps don't you? But the 16 amp equivalent should work for most people.
No. The UMC does 32 amps on one phase and then distributes it to more than one on-board charger (these are limited to 24A on Model S and X and 16A on Model 3 per on-board charger, of which you have either two or three -- always three for the EU).

If you go to three phases, it's to get 16A@240V*3 or 24A@240V*3 charging.

I have a 32A socket at home too, so before buying my car I enquired about 32A adapters, was told my UMC would be 32A capable, and ordered an adapter to collect with the car.

However I didn't unpack it and now I come to use it I see it's for a different connection type (the black proprietary one is different, perhaps for the previous in-line S/X UMC). So I need to exchange it for the one you have. And confirm I have the right UMC, in case that's the issue - my car is Model S.

View attachment 445041

They gave you the 32A commando adapter for the Gen 1 UMC. You have a Gen 2 UMC.

Tesla is not the only source for the correct adapter:
European CEE 32A 6h Type 023 IP44 Blue Commando (Caravan Mains) Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

Last edited:
No. The UMC does 32 amps on one phase and then distributes it to more than one on-board charger (these are limited to 24A on Model S and X and 16A on Model 3 per on-board charger, of which you have either two or three -- always three for the EU).

If you go to three phases, it's to get 16A@240V*3 or 24A@240V*3 charging.
Am I right also that gen 1 UMC could take 3 phase and gen 2 cannot?

I guess this is just cost-cutting but in any case its not a big deal for me since long term for me UMC is occasional top ups rather than day to day.

For those planning to go commando long term I'd be interested to hear what seasoned experts have to say about that. Aside from the inconvenience of keeping packing the thing up it does stand to reason it may not be designed for that level of use. I think mine will do 50% of my charging for 6 months then sit in the car for just occasional use.

I may get a socket put in at my mum's place but I won't use it very often so it'll be with half an eye on her next car being an EV. So I might see if I can fund a low cost but universal proper charge point there instead. The location is right by meter and main fuse board.

For those planning to go commando long term I'd be interested to hear what seasoned experts have to say about that. Aside from the inconvenience of keeping packing the thing up it does stand to reason it may not be designed for that level of use.

Planning to put a 32A commando in the freshly cleared out garage and keep the UMC there so no need to pack it away. Also planning on getting a Zappi but there's a 12 week wait for that, I sincerely hope I have the car before then!

Reactions: Roy W.
A couple of comments from the other side of the Pond (2 ponds, actually), in case of interest:

1. UMC longevity: My Gen1 UMC is still going strong after 4 years of regular use. Haven't heard of any UMC problems from long-time owners around here. So I think they can last a long time if taken care of.

2. RCD necessity: Many owners charge with their UMC from a NEMA 14-50 socket in the garage at 240V/40A, and no GFI protection. Haven't heard of any electrocutions yet, so seems like excessive regulation to require it.