Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi All - New to the site. Interested in a great road trip to take in our new Tesla Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some drives we've enjoyed that might make sense given your starting point:

North along 101 to Astoria, OR. For bonus points, keep heading North to Whistler BC if the border is open. Side trip along Hwy 20 in WA (closed in winter).
Through the Tetons, Yellowstone and over the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge MT and back.
Take 70 through Colorado, spend some time around Boulder, and drive to the top of Pikes Peak.
Through Yosemite, especially up to Glacier Point.
There are some really interesting back roads and state parks in South Dakota (near the Badlands) but I'm afraid I can't remember specific roads well enough.

There are certainly lots of other nice places. For example, we enjoyed Acadia NP in Maine and the Great Smoky Mountains. But those are an awfully long ways away, and while it's perfectly fine driving across and there are plenty of interesting places if you stop and poke around, the driving part isn't as interesting as some of the ones above.

Reactions: chrstna4
Get a National Parks pass and try to collect them all!
Pick a theme and plan out a trip on A Better Route Planner. I plan out mine with the help of Tesla.com/findus so I can plot out faster chargers and chargers near amenities I prefer (eg I’d rather use the restroom at a Target than a fast food joint). One of my plans is the theme of the HGTV shows I watch and going to those towns. Some people hit all the baseball stadiums or the highest/lowest points in each state. I also try to hit pretty lighthouses on any trip I go on.
Be careful, road trips can be addictive. I’ve put 21k miles on my car since July 2020 just doing day trips, some overnight trips, and one 4 night trip.

My husband and I would like to take some cool road trips in our Tesla. Interested in any trips you have really enjoyed!
Where are you located? I'm in New England and we have terrific scenic roads and the Supercharger coverage is excellent. Vermont has twisty mountain roads and the state is covered with farms and charming villages you can easily spend a couple of days driving the back roads of Vermont. The Western part of Massachusetts is the Berkshire Mountains, a wonderful drive also. For the seacoast going up Route 1 in Maine is great as is driving around Rhode Island. Rhode Island is the size of a postage stamp so it won't take you long to do it but like all of the other places I've mentioned it has great restaurants. Someone else mentioned the idea of picking a theme. We've done that a few times, one year it was lighthouse and we tried to visit all of them from RI to Maine. We also did covered bridges, that's mostly Vermont and some in New Hampshire. Cheese farms has been another things, there are farms that make goat cheese and those that make cow cheese, you can see the animals getting milked and pick up some really great cheese. Here's a little gal in Vermont saying hi,
2021-07-17 16.06.06.jpg

Reactions: bobby g
Pick a theme and plan out a trip on A Better Route Planner. I plan out mine with the help of Tesla.com/findus so I can plot out faster chargers and chargers near amenities I prefer (eg I’d rather use the restroom at a Target than a fast food joint). One of my plans is the theme of the HGTV shows I watch and going to those towns. Some people hit all the baseball stadiums or the highest/lowest points in each state. I also try to hit pretty lighthouses on any trip I go on.
Be careful, road trips can be addictive. I’ve put 21k miles on my car since July 2020 just doing day trips, some overnight trips, and one 4 night trip.
great idea!!! Thanks so much

Where are you located? I'm in New England and we have terrific scenic roads and the Supercharger coverage is excellent. Vermont has twisty mountain roads and the state is covered with farms and charming villages you can easily spend a couple of days driving the back roads of Vermont. The Western part of Massachusetts is the Berkshire Mountains, a wonderful drive also. For the seacoast going up Route 1 in Maine is great as is driving around Rhode Island. Rhode Island is the size of a postage stamp so it won't take you long to do it but like all of the other places I've mentioned it has great restaurants. Someone else mentioned the idea of picking a theme. We've done that a few times, one year it was lighthouse and we tried to visit all of them from RI to Maine. We also did covered bridges, that's mostly Vermont and some in New Hampshire. Cheese farms has been another things, there are farms that make goat cheese and those that make cow cheese, you can see the animals getting milked and pick up some really great cheese. Here's a little gal in Vermont saying hi,View attachment 702908
Now that’s one cool goat! I love the idea of picking a theme and traveling to different sites!

We just did a trip around the entire country of Iceland in July but we ended up renting a Tesla there instead of taking one of ours. ;)

In our Teslas, we've done many great trips from Colorado to California or Colorado to South Dakota, as well as several holiday trips to Kansas and Nebraska. The Supercharger network makes it pretty easy. There are still a few places out west that could use Supercharger coverage but pretty much any trip is possible with planning and enough time.

In December 2018, I took my family from Atlanta to Southern California and back taking I-20 and I-10.
In December 2019, we went from Atlanta to Vancouver, BC and back mostly taking I-80 and I-90.

Superchargers make the experience very nice, and I never felt like regretted taking an EV on both trips.

Reactions: chrstna4 and TM3blu