Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner mileage restriction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Afternoon, I have a question regarding the mileage restrictions or limits on Tesla loaners. I recently purchased my vehicle, specifically in December. It was brand new, but it had some scratches and minor cosmetic defects. I discussed these issues with the sales manager, who agreed to address them at a later date. I wasn’t able to bring the vehicle in for repairs until February 14, so I took it to the Mount Kisco location in New York, which was the most convenient for me, despite living in Carthage, New York—a considerable distance away. There isn’t a Tesla service location nearby, but I travel to New York City weekly for work, so taking the vehicle to Mount Kisco made sense. Upon arrival, they provided me with a loaner without mentioning any mileage restrictions; they simply sent me an email containing a sort of contract, which I signed to obtain the loaner. They indicated the repair would take a few days.

Now, I had planned a road trip previously , since my son is on winter vacation and wants to spend time with our family in Florida. I’m curious about whether there are any mileage restrictions. A staff member mentioned that they don’t meticulously inspect the vehicle upon its return. The Model 3 loaner they gave me, which appears to have been frequently used as it had close to 22,000 miles and showed signs of wear like scratches and curb rash( lots of it ) was ok to me, I feel less guilty as opposed to brand new Tesla. Anyways, I’ve made the road trip from Carthage, New York, to Miami, Florida, which is a significant distance. I’m concerned about whether this will cause any issues. At the service location I was told that it would take at least a week for my car to be ready.

Good Afternoon, I have a question regarding the mileage restrictions or limits on Tesla loaners. I recently purchased my vehicle, specifically in December. It was brand new, but it had some scratches and minor cosmetic defects. I discussed these issues with the sales manager, who agreed to address them at a later date. I wasn’t able to bring the vehicle in for repairs until February 14, so I took it to the Mount Kisco location in New York, which was the most convenient for me, despite living in Carthage, New York—a considerable distance away. There isn’t a Tesla service location nearby, but I travel to New York City weekly for work, so taking the vehicle to Mount Kisco made sense. Upon arrival, they provided me with a loaner without mentioning any mileage restrictions; they simply sent me an email containing a sort of contract, which I signed to obtain the loaner. They indicated the repair would take a few days.

Now, I had planned a road trip previously , since my son is on winter vacation and wants to spend time with our family in Florida. I’m curious about whether there are any mileage restrictions. A staff member mentioned that they don’t meticulously inspect the vehicle upon its return. The Model 3 loaner they gave me, which appears to have been frequently used as it had close to 22,000 miles and showed signs of wear like scratches and curb rash( lots of it ) was ok to me, I feel less guilty as opposed to brand new Tesla. Anyways, I’ve made the road trip from Carthage, New York, to Miami, Florida, which is a significant distance. I’m concerned about whether this will cause any issues. At the service location I was told that it would take at least a week for my car to be ready.
That depends on what it says on your loaner contract.

I think Enterprise offers unlimited mileage, so if Tesla restricts your mileage, ask for Enterprise next time.

Upvote 0
I have to admit, I didn't read the agreement before signing it, ( that one is on me ). Attempting to access it now through the app only results in a notification that I have already signed the document. However, I did tell them that I would be driving a lot . My concern revolves around the possibility of a mileage restriction; specifically, how stringent they might be about enforcing it. I'm curious if anyone has actually been charged for exceeding such a restriction. It seems they gave me a high-mileage Tesla, possibly in anticipation of my extensive driving, as the one I received had about 22,000 miles and showed significant signs of wear, I literally had never seen so much "curb rash" on any car , the 4 rims were completely covered on it.

Upvote 0
22,000 miles is high-mileage? LOL

My '21 has just shy of 70,000 and I wouldn't call it high mileage. I've had a few loaners from Tesla for various reasons, and can't say I paid any attention whatsoever to the mileage on them. I have had a P85D with ludicrous, a M3P, and a M3 LR AWD as loaners. Can't say I ever paid much attention to the agreement either, but I wasn't going to run up thousands of miles in the day or 2 I had the loaner either; a couple hundred, sure, but not thousands.

That said, it's pretty poor form to take a loaner car on a 2600 mile road trip, and it boggles my mind that anyone would even think that's reasonable without specifically asking about it first.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0