Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi - I'm new. Am I nut for considering a Model S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also work from home, but since I bought a Model S two+ years and 44,000 miles ago, I find that I'm much more likely to take road trips than I was with my 18MPG Audi S6. I made a 650-mile round trip from Burlington, VT to Wellfleet, MA on Cape Cod for the 4th of July weekend. My total cost: $1 each way for the New Hampshire toll. I made two 20-minute Supercharger stops in each direction.

Last edited:
Oh, there definitely is no hope for you.

Look at me/us - we own eight other vehicles, not one of them a performance machine but rather all work-ish or wonk-ish ones - and not only do we now own one Model S, with a Model X in the oven....but I'm also a Forum Moderadator.

Abandon all hope; ye are truly lost.

Nathaniel,

I was in the same situation before I bought my Model S. I don't commute, don't take trips, and have two other cars. Now that I have it, I still don't drive...I just sit in the garage or in the vehicle admiring it.

You must get the tech package, I'm posting from the car now.

I can have meals delivered to me in here, so there's no problem becoming permanently fascinated with the vehicle. However, when I skype my psychiatrist, he says I need to broaden out and create more space in my life, so I'll probably order a Model X.

I think I too am a nut.

- I don't commute (work provides me a company vehicle that I have to use for anything work related, and it parks out front of my house)
- My last car was about 1/10th the cost, and was the most expensive vehicle I'd ever bought.
- This car is about 1.5 times my annual salary (and that's after the generous discount I got on it, had I bought new it would be double my annual salary)
- Much of my driving is long trips, many of which have limited to no charging infrastructure.

But this is a bit of an obsession of mine, and I saved up to make my dream reality... I'm probably crazy, but sane just isn't that much fun.